Staff hiring process overview
Table of Contents
This page describes the process for recruiting, selecting, and hiring prospective employees for classified non-union, contract covered, temporary hourly, and professional staff positions, including those positions that are professional staff project positions and contract classified fixed duration positions.
Complete required trainings
Hiring managers are required to complete these one-time trainings either to gain access to UWHIRES or maintain continued access to UWHIRES.
- Implicit bias training: This strategic training will help heighten awareness around bias. This self-paced training of approximately one hour is required for all hiring managers with access to UWHIRES and is strongly encouraged for all staff. Access the Implicit bias training here.
- Record keeping supports a fair hiring process training: Hiring managers help ensure the University’s hiring process is transparent, objective, and equitable by understanding the how and why of creating, retaining, and disposing (when appropriate) of records during the hiring process. This self-paced training is required for UW staff involved in the hiring process such as hiring managers and interview panelists and is approximately one hour long.
More information and links to access both trainings are posted on UWHR’s Trainings for hiring managers webpage.
Step 1: Create position
For new positions, the first step is to create your position in Workday. Follow the instructions for Creating a New Position or Create Position – Medical Centers. You may create a new position and a requisition simultaneously by selecting create a requisition and indicating it is for a new position. Contact the Integrated Service Center (ISC) if you need assistance, or in the medical centers you may contact your employment representative.
|The Compensation office assigns the job classification for classified non-union and contract covered staff positions. See also: Classified Job Profiles and Class Specifications.|
|UW professional staff positions are exempt from the state civil service system. In order for a position to be placed in the UW Professional Staff Program it must meet one or more of the legislatively authorized exemption criteria. Professional staff positions must fall within the job classes as noted in this list of Professional Staff Payroll Titles.|
|When creating any professional staff position complete the Professional Staff Position Description (PSPD) (MS Word) and attach it to the position in Workday.|
|When creating a position for a professional staff temporary position (PSTP) electronically attach the completed Professional Staff Temporary Position (PSTP) - Supplemental Questionnaire (PDF) in workday.|
Step 2: Create requisition
Once you have created the position in Workday or if you are replacing a current position, the next step is to create your requisition in Workday. Follow these instructions and contact the ISC if you need assistance: Job Requisition – Existing Position – Staff Campus or Job Requisition – Existing Position – Medical Centers.
- When creating a requisition for a direct hire temporary hourly employee, please include the name of the candidate in the Recruitment Questionnaire in Workday.
- The TTM Recruitment team will use the job description in your Workday Requisition to create the job posting. We encourage you to use this guide to boost the appeal of your job posting.
Your requisition will be reviewed and approved by your unit approvers in Workday. When fully approved, your employment representative will review and approve the requisition in Workday and send it to UWHIRES.
Step 3: Begin recruitment
Once your requisition has been approved in Workday, it is sent to UWHIRES where it will appear on your UWHIRES hiring manager workbench. Your employment representative will work with you on finalizing the job posting. Once the posting is completed, your employment representative will switch the requisition to “Open” status and post the position to the UW employment website and any other websites you may have discussed if additional advertising is needed.
Step 4: Review resumes
Your employment representative will review resumes against all requirements, review qualified applicants for eligibility, and then place candidates on your hiring manager workbench in UWHIRES. The resumes are then available for you to review. Depending on employment program and/or veterans’ status of the candidate, your employment representative will refer applications at various times. Consult with your employment representative to discuss a timeline of candidate resume referrals.
- If a job has a closing date, resumes will generally be available after the posted closing date.
- For positions that are open until filled, resumes may be available as soon as they are submitted and reviewed.
To view the candidates’ resumes:
- Open the hiring manager workbench and locate the requisition under the “Requisitions” tab.
- Click on the Job Profile.
- Scroll down to the “Candidates” tab in the requisition. Click on the candidate’s name to display their profile and resume.
- As you review each candidate indicate the activity disposition codes(s) that apply to the applicant’s most recent status change to track and document their status in the hiring process.
- In the Requisition view, scroll down to the “Candidates” tab.
- Select the appropriate disposition for each candidate from the “Activity Type” drop down menu.
Step 5: Interview candidates and select a final candidate
Interview candidates who appear the most qualified, using tips and guidance posted on UWHR’s Interviewing page. Disposition candidates during your review and evaluation to track and document their status in the hiring process.
Prior to making an offer, where there are two or more equally qualified candidates and a candidate is a veteran eligible for preference, then the veterans’ preference will act as a tie-breaker.
Reference checks are required prior to extending an offer to a final candidate, for all positions, whether the candidate is internal or external. When the final candidate for a position is a current or former UW employee, departments must obtain a reference from the candidate’s current (or most recent) UW manager and, additionally, contact UWHR to request a review of the candidate’s official personnel record. For more information, review the reference checking hiring webpage.
Document that you have conducted a reference check on the candidate in UWHIRES.
Step 6: Steps prior to the offer
You will need to establish a proposed salary offer and obtain offer approval for the salary from your employment representative.
Propose salary offer for campus staff position
Once you have selected a qualified candidate, establish a proposed salary and obtain approval for the salary offer from both your employment representative and your department approvers. For classified staff, employment representatives will verify that the desired amount is within the recruiting range and ensure that current classified staff are being offered the required salary step.
Then complete the “Request Approval for Offer” activity in UWHIRES. This will notify your employment representative of your request for salary review, followed by the other approvers on the list.
Propose salary offer for medical center staff position
Work with your employment representative to establish a proposed salary.
Sexual misconduct declaration – external candidates
Prior to the official offer of employment, your employment specialist will send the final external candidate the sexual misconduct declaration form via DocuSign in UWHIRES.
Step 7: Make the offer
Once the salary has been approved by both your employment representative and your department approvers, you may extend a conditional offer to the final candidate, contingent upon completion and review of the sexual misconduct declaration and criminal background check (if required).
Contact your employment representative if salary negotiation is needed.
Step 8: Post-offer
After an offer is accepted, alert your employment representative that the offer has been accepted and provide the start date.
Campus departments select the “Department Hire (Pre-hire)” activity in UWHIRES to alert their employment representative. Successful completion of a criminal conviction background check may still be required (see below).
Your employment representative will initiate the criminal conviction history check, if needed, and complete the required action in UWHIRES. See the Criminal Background Check webpage for details. You can find instructions on the Workday hire process in the Hire Staff Campus user guide.
Prepare and send a hire confirmation letter to your new employee:
> Hire Confirmation Letter (new to UW contract classified) (MS Word)
> Hire Confirmation Letter (Classified Fixed Duration Project/LOA) (MS Word)
> Hire Confirmation Letter (new to UW pro staff) (MS Word)
Medical centers departments
Medical Centers Human Resources will perform the following post-hire activities for you:
- Send new hire confirmation letter.
- Complete the UWHIRES and Workday entry process.
- Complete background checks.
- Verify education
- Medical Centers’ orientation registration (includes Husky Card and photo identification name badge for new employee).
- Clinical orientation (scheduling as job applicable).
- Collect completed payroll paperwork.
Step 9: Document the hiring process
Save all recruitment materials according to the records retention schedule.
Accurate dispositioning, the action of indicating where in the process an individual is considered, rejected, and by whom is a requirement of the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP). As a federal contractor, the University must comply with OFCCP regulations by accurately documenting and recording the search process. This process is done electronically within UWHIRES so candidates can check their statuses themselves. Review the activity disposition codes webpage and follow these steps to update candidates not selected with their final disposition:
- Log into UWHIRES.
- In the Requisition view, scroll down to the “Candidates” tab.
- To update individual candidates:
- Click on the “Add Activity” link next to the candidate’s name that you want to update. This will open the “Add Activity” screen.
- Select the appropriate final disposition code from the “Activity Type” drop-down menu for the stage in which the candidate fell out of consideration. By adding this information, candidates can view their status for your position in their UW applicant profile. Candidates will only see “Not Selected,” regardless of what disposition code you choose.
- To update all candidates:
- Select all candidates you wish to change status on by clicking the box to the left of their name.
- At the top of the “Candidates” tab, select the appropriate disposition code from the drop-down menu for the stage in which the candidates fell out of consideration.
- Click “Go”.
Note: On your hiring manager workbench, if you have filled requisitions on which candidates have not yet been dispositioned, you will see a tab indicating such. From this tab, you are able to go into a requisition and move candidates into their final disposition status.