HR Community of Practice
Together we do
Last updated: September 10, 2020
Who we are
The HR Community of Practice (HR CoP) is an organization of campus department HR practitioners who share the responsibility of HR policy and practice that aligns with the mission, vision, values, and priorities of the University of Washington. The group gathers regularly for meetings and best-practice discussion, events and networking, peer-led learning sessions, and mentorship.
Members of the HR CoP hold positions focused on human resources, including:
- HR administrators
- HR decision makers
- HR managers
- HR specialists
Employees who are new to human resources or growing into more advanced HR roles may also participate with their supervisor’s approval.
What we do
The community meets to discuss policy and practice updates, topics of departmental importance, peer learning, and advancement of the HR discipline across the University of Washington.
HR Community of Practice 2020 meetings
- Panel discussion on staff mental health with Anne Browning, Fonda Phillips, Erin Rice, and Gillian Wickwire.
- Powerpoint presentation:
- Title IX Update
- UWHR’s new diversity, equity, and inclusion web resources
- COVID-19 Employee Emergency Fund
- Return-to-Worksite Planning: Panel discussion with Jacob Morris, Mara Stevens, Chong-Yi Lucas, and Chesca Ward.
- Screening and interview guidance from Total Talent Management
- Emotional intelligence training with POD
- The Whole U: Summer Virtual Connections
- Child care update: look ahead to summer opportunities
- UW COVID-19 Employee Emergency Fund
- COVID-19 child-care and school closure leave provisions
- COVID-19 HR guidance (.pptx)
HR CoP Coffee Connections
Discussion of Goal #1 of the 2017-2021 UW Diversity Blueprint: Cultivate an inclusive campus climate.
July 16: Building DEI into our local practices
- The Staff Diversity Hiring Toolkit offers comprehensive guidance from the Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity, from the recruitment process through retention.
June 25: Return-to-Workplace Planning
- Communication, employee feedback, current obstacles
June 11: Practice Share
- Learning to conduct virtual performance evaluations
- Creative solutions to virtual onboarding
May 14: Group discussion, introduction to the HR CoP
- Tri-campus HR Institute
- HR mentorship opportunities
- UWHR 101: an introduction for new HR practitioners
If you’d like to join the HR Community of Practice, please contact Gwyneth Cunningham-Parmar at email@example.com.