Facilitation and training
A team may more effectively accomplish its objectives by working with an experienced consultant to facilitate meetings, retreats, or customized trainings. Relying on in-house talent can also be effective in some cases, but leaders or team members may be perceived as biased, which can stifle creativity, generate interpersonal tension, or create other roadblocks. In addition, a team or project leader who attempts to both facilitate and participate may shortchange themselves in the process.
These retreats bring together key decision-makers, involve complex dynamics and discussions, and often have far-reaching effects on the whole organization. Management-level retreats may focus on regular planning or on specific objectives such as process improvement, change management, or strategic planning.
The consultant’s role could include:
- Clarifying and naming the goals and purpose of the retreat
- Planning appropriate means of arriving at the outcome desired
- Facilitating discussions and activities at the retreat
- Post-retreat follow-up to ensure that the outcomes have the maximum chance of success
Bringing in a facilitator allows all members of a group or team to fully engage in a meeting and is particularly useful when there’s a history of discord or controversy, employees feel vulnerable, or individuals have an emotional or personal stake in the topic at hand.
The facilitator’s role could include:
- Reminding the group of the meeting goal
- Sharing honest constructive feedback
- Suggesting tools for problem solving
- Acting as a resource
- Keeping the group on track
- Observing and addressing group dynamics issues
For large groups, it can be beneficial and cost effective to hire POD to deliver training to your entire group. For smaller groups (for instance, less than 10), we encourage you to first consider signing up your group for one of our classes.
- View a list of all regularly offered courses.
- View POD’s Guide to Workplace Competencies to see how specific skill areas connect to our offerings.
In addition to our regular offerings, through our University Consulting Alliance, POD has access to dozens of internal and external trainers and consultants with expertise in many topics that can be customized to fit your group’s schedule and needs.