SLP Level 1
The Strategic Leadership Program (SLP) provides a comprehensive education in the essential elements of leadership, in general and specific to the University.
If you are a supervisor with at least one direct report who’s a permanent UW employee, you’re expected to attend SLP. Because SLP is centrally funded, there’s no cost to you or your department.
Objectives and curriculum
SLP was developed and is facilitated by Professional & Organizational Development (POD). The curriculum is designed to teach you how to be successful as a supervisor at the University and achieve exceptional performance from your staff.
This unique program combines self-awareness with organizational awareness, policy knowledge with interpersonal skills, and tactics with strategy. Content is organized around four integral aspects of management:
- Self (competency assessment, communication styles, emotional intelligence, and diversity)
- People (performance management, situational supervision, coaching, motivation, and employee development)
- Teams (group dynamics, conflict resolution, decision making, and human resources basics)
- Organizations (change management, organizational culture, and managing up)
Upcoming workshops and registration
Whether or not you’ve already received an invitation to attend SLP, you’re welcome to register for an upcoming workshop. In addition, as a new or newly promoted supervisor, you’re expected to attend SLP Supervisor Orientation as soon as possible after starting your supervisory role.
Due to current restrictions on in-person classes, SLP content will be delivered via a combination of live online Zoom sessions and self-paced online learning. You will receive links prior to the workshop date.
- Wednesdays, December 8 & 15, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays, January 12 & 19, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays, March 9 & 16, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Please note that spaces in this program fill up quickly. If you determine you cannot attend the workshop for which you’ve registered, email firstname.lastname@example.org promptly so that someone else may have your space.
To be eligible for Level 1 of the Strategic Leadership Program, you should have at least one FTE or three student employees who report to you. If you have any questions regarding your eligibility to participate please contact email@example.com.
Workshop completion and credit
Attendance is required for both live Zoom sessions, and all self-paced online modules must also be completed. After completing SLP, you will receive a certificate from POD.