Philip S. Heller
Learning Design Associates
Learning Design Associates is a professional service firm founded in 1979. We help with faculty and leadership development, reconciliation of fractured professional relationships and individualized coaching. Our clients come from the medical, engineering, scientific, professional, and support services that direct and staff educational institutions and community service agencies.
We consider the set of conditions and interpersonal circumstances (e.g., sponsors, mentors, key stakeholders, current events, significant drivers) even when working one-to-one. We learn the important traditions, principles and beliefs in order to custom design coaching approaches and projects. Our clients gain greater self-awareness and skills and acquire current insights in leadership. Our clients understand and appreciate that we are in it for success over the long haul.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE/RESULTS
- Faculty learning and development
- Leadership and staff performance coaching
- Reconciling and improving work relationships
- Solving delicate professional conflicts between individuals, within teams and between departments
- Transition counseling
- Interpersonal communication skills
EXPERIENCE / SELECTED PROJECTS
- Provided 360º feedback and individualized coaching to directors of national scientific laboratories.
- Coached university medical faculty to improve team leadership and human relations skills.
- Facilitated leadership alignment, manager-manager and staff-staff dialogues to surface issues, share expectations and reconcile relationships for more productive handoffs.
- Ongoing feedback, coaching, and transition counseling with staff and directors to improve team and leadership skills and enhance career options.
- Guided allied divisions and departments to close rifts and create agreements for joint cooperative action and mutual respect.
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, Education
- M.S., Michigan State University, Ecology
- B.A., City College of New York, Biology, cum laude
- Tavistock Group Dynamics
- Master’s Degree Committees Member, Seattle University
- Co-Leadership of Human Systems Development Professionals, a regional association of senior consultants committed to 5-year peer reviews
- Senior consultant, Six 4-month assignments with the Community Consulting Partnership, training less-experienced consultants to support non-profit board development
- Manuscript reviewer for Berrett-Koehler Publishers for coaching and conflict management texts
- Monthly case study columnist for the Pacific Northwest Organizational Development Network Newsletter
- Member of leadership team organizing two National conferences for the Organizational Development Network
- Certified: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
• Strong Interest Inventory
• Strength Deployment Inventory
• FIRO-B; Thomas-Kilman Conflict Inventory
- University of Washington, Medical School
- University of North Dakota School of Medicine
- City University of New York
- WA State Board of Pharmacy
- NOAA Fisheries Science Center
- US Federal Executive Institute
- USFS Pacific NW Research Station