Negotiations Recap for July 29, 2013
This recap details the 24th bargaining session between the UW and AFT.
- Union Rights
- UW declined AFT’s proposal to omit language outlining the process by which an employee could request leaves of absence to participate in union-related activities.
- Management Rights
- UW accepted AFT’s proposed language surrounding the extent of management’s decision-making authority related to maintaining program standards. UW maintained its proposal to include defining criteria for performance expectations as a management right.
- Personnel Files
- UW proposed language to further clarify scenarios in which archived materials from an extension lecturer’s personnel file may be used in any legal action.
- Leaves of Absence
- UW declined AFT’s proposal to grant extension lecturers one additional paid personal day off per quarter.
- Professional Development
- UW proposed clarifications to the wording of its previous proposal. The parties discussed the possibility of listing a minimum allocation of professional development funds per lecturer, to accompany UW’s proposal for no set maximum.
- Article 22: Complete Agreement and Conformity to Law
- The parties tentatively agreed to language memorializing their commitment to a contract that complies with the law. The parties tentatively agreed to omit any reference to the IELP Operations Manual.
The next UW-AFT bargaining session is scheduled for August 13.