Negotiations Recap for July 1, 2013
This recap details the 22nd and final session for the renewal of the collective bargaining agreement between the UW/Harborview and SEIU 1199, and the 13th session to be facilitated by neutral mediators.
Comprehensive Tentative Agreement
UW/Harborview and SEIU 1199 reached a comprehensive tentative agreement on a contract for the 2013-2015 biennium, which both parties will recommend to their constituents for approval and ratification. Key provisions include:
- Employees will receive a 2 percent across-the-board wage increase for both years of the 2013-2015 biennium.
- UW/Harborview will expand eligibility for preceptor pay to the health care specialist, social worker 1, and electroneurodiagnostic (END) technologist job classes. UW/Harborview will expand what constitutes “precepting” to include working with students, under defined circumstances.
- Rest Between Shifts
- UW/Harborview will expand eligibility for the rest between shifts premium to END technologists.
- Education Support Funds
- UW/Harborview will increase the education support funds available to each full-time equivalent (FTE) in nearly all bargaining units: $500 for anesthesia technicians, END technologists, and Harborview and Airlift Northwest nurses, $800 for respiratory therapists, $850 for social workers, and $1,800 for health care specialists.
- Employees at a 0.9 FTE will be considered full-time for purposes of this benefit, and will be eligible for the maximum amount. Unused funds will no longer be pooled.
- Missed Break Trial
- Harborview will conduct a six-month project related to meals and rest breaks on two units, by assigning six registered nurses to dedicated break relief. These nurses will not have a permanent patient assignment, and will relieve nurses with permanent patient assignments for meal and rest breaks.
For more details on what is new and different in the 2013-2015 collective bargaining agreement, see the summary of the UW/Harborview-SEIU 1199 comprehensive tentative agreement.
UW/Harborview and SEIU 1199 will recommend this agreement to their respective constituents for approval and ratification.