Negotiations Recap for August 17, 2012
This recap details the sixth session for the renewal of the collective bargaining agreement between the UW and WFSE, and the second session facilitated by a neutral mediator.
Scope of Negotiations
The parties continued efforts to compromise on several open contract articles. The conversation focused mainly on the following articles and issue areas:
- Article 21: Performance Evaluation
- Criteria for evaluation forms, and the amount of time after receiving a performance evaluation that an employee has to provide a written response.
- Article 23: Corrective Action
- The level at which corrective action may begin, and guidelines around notifying the union when a WFSE-represented employee is recommended for dismissal.
- Article 39: Hours of Work and Schedules
- Alternative work schedules for non-hospital personnel.
Other articles for discussion involved alternative schedules, overtime, promotions, and seniority/layoff.
- KRONOS Implementation
- The parties tentatively agreed to update the contract’s KRONOS memorandum to reflect that WFSE recognizes UW’s right to continue with the implementation of the KRONOS timekeeping system, and that UW will bargain the effects that implementation has on WFSE-represented employees.
- Article 29: Sick Leave
- UW tentatively withdrew its proposal to require all employees to notify management of an unexpected absence at least two hours before the beginning of their scheduled shift, or risk losing the use of paid sick leave for that day.
The parties agreed to arrange a small “side table” meeting to discuss issues and proposals specific to the medical centers.
The next UW/WFSE bargaining session is scheduled for August 22.