UW – SAG-AFTRA Negotiations Recap for June 2
This recap details the fourth session for the negotiation of the second collective bargaining agreement between the University of Washington (UW) and Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) for KUOW. Recaps are published online on the UW Labor Relations website.
The parties verbally tentatively agreed to the following:
- Article 4 – Prayer and Lactation Accommodations
- Added reference to relevant Administrative Policy Statement (APS 46.7)
- Article 6 – Grievance and Arbitration Procedure
- Increased the time that the Employer has to respond to a Step Two meeting from 15 days to 30.
- Article 22 – Vacation Leave
- Increased vacation accrual rates of employees in overtime eligible positions to be equivalent to vacation accrual rates for employees in overtime exempt positions.
- Article 29 – Length of Service
- Added language stating that employees who enter into the bargaining unit from other state agencies and institutions of higher education would start earning layoff seniority from the first day of coverage under the UW/SAG-AFTRA CBA.
- Removed language stating that length of service is used throughout this Agreement for purposes of accruing benefits, including but not limited to vacation.
The parties verbally tentatively agreed to housekeeping edits on the following provisions:
- Mission Statement and Preamble
- Article 5 – Flexible Work Agreements/Arrangements
- Article 18 – Safety and Health
- Article 19 – Benefits
- Article 21 – Holidays
The parties verbally tentatively agreed to current contract language on the following articles:
- Article 1 – Union Recognition
- Article 2 – Management Rights
- Article 8 – Work Week, Work Day, Meal Breaks, and Rest Breaks
- Article 10 – Rest Between Shifts
- Article 11 – Minimum Call
- Article 12 – On-Call
- Article 17 – Professional Development
- Article 23 – Minimum Terms and Conditions
- Article 24 – Subordination of Agreement and Savings Clause
- Article 25 – Successors and Assigns
- Article 26 – No Strike/Lockout
- Article 27 – Newsroom Firewall
- Article 28 – Corrective Action/Dismissal
- Article 30 – Layoff
- Article 31 – Rehire Rights
- Article 33 – Postings
- Article 35 – Union Representatives and Stewards
- Article 37 – Meal Policy
SAG-AFTRA Counter Proposals
Article 15 – Fellowships and Interns
In response to the Employer, the Union proposed that fellowships would be limited to 12 months. They also proposed that the language stating that fellows would not be used to cover absences or illnesses be modified to state that fellows would not be used to cover long-term absences or illnesses.
Article 16 – Independent Contractors
In response to the Employer’s proposal, the Union proposed to modify language stating that the Employer would provide at least 30 days’ notice prior to the start of independently contracted work, adding that 30 days’ notice should be provided if possible. In cases where such notice is not possible, the Union proposed that the Employer would provide notice of independently contracted work within 15 days of that work starting.
Side Letter – UPASS
The Union accepted the Employer’s proposal to remove the FTE restriction on those receiving the fully subsidized UPASS. They also proposed to strike the expiration date from this provision.
UW Counter Proposals
Article 9 – Overtime
In response to the Union, the Employer proposed new language clarifying that overtime-exempt employees are not covered by federal or state overtime laws and do not receive overtime compensation or compensatory time off. They also proposed to remove the list of overtime exempt positions from the body of the contract.
Article 14 – Temporary Hourly Fill-In Employees
In response to the Union’s proposal that the Union be notified of all temporary hourly fill-ins, the Employer proposed language stating that the usage of temporary hourly fill-in employees may also be an appropriate agenda item for Joint Union Management committee meetings.
Article 32 – Notification of New Hires
The Employer accepted the Union’s proposal to notify the Union of transfers out of the bargaining unit using a Status Notification Form. The Employer also proposed to change the title of the article to Status Notification Forms.
The next UW and SAG-AFTRA bargaining session is scheduled for June 16 and will be held virtually.