UW IHME & SEIU 925 Negotiations Recap for August 25 & 27, 2020
This recap details the thirteenth and fourteenth virtual session for the initial collective bargaining agreement between the UW IHME and SEIU 925. Recaps are published online on the UW Labor Relations website.
The parties signed tentative agreements to close the following provisions:
- Article 13 – Tuition Exemption Program
- Similar to the main SEIU 925 CBA, with edits that include all related fees and costs will be paid by the Employer and required attendance outside of regular work hours will be considered time worked.
- Article 20 – Miscellaneous Leave
- Based off of the main SEIU 925 CBA, revised with housekeeping edits to refer to the policy for certain emergency services personnel leave and leave for organ donors.
- Article 24 – Unpaid Holidays for a Reason of Faith or Conscience
- No changes to the current leave for faith or conscience per calendar year.
- Article 28 – Inclement Weather and Suspended Operations
- Similar to the main SEIU 925 CBA, with edits that the Employer will allow the employee to telework with adjustments as needed, if work can be successfully accomplished away from the work site. Parking at unrestricted spaces shall be provided at no cost to the employee. Removed language included usage of accrued sick leave for suspension of operations by a public health official.
- Article 34 – Performance Evaluation
- Based off of the main SEIU 925 CBA, revised for supervisors and employees to meet at least twice annually. Up to 4 colleagues, partners and collaborators may provide feedback. Evaluation process will include a joint plan for performance improvement.
- Article 37 – Employee Assistance Program
- Based off of the main SEIU 925 CBA, the Employer will continue to offer an Employee Assistance Program.
- Article 38 – Layoff Seniority, Layoff, Rehire
- Based off of the main SEIU 925 CBA, revised with seniority categories in calendar days to include 1-365, 366-730, 731-1460, 1461-2190, and 2191 and over. The edits to include notice of a new position to all employees will be provided and at least two internal layoff applicants will be included in the interview pool if they meet the minimum qualifications. Notice of layoff will be in writing at least forty-five calendar days in advance. An employee affected by the reduction in force shall be considered first and offered the following options, provided they meet the minimum qualifications of a same or similar IHME job profile in the current grade, lower grade, or placed on the rehire list.
- Article 39 – Resignation and Abandonment
- Based off of the main SEIU 925 CBA, with edits to remove compensation for accrued vacation leave for separated employees.
- Article XX – Information on Grants and Proposals
- Similar to the main SEIU 925 CBA, with edits to remove compensation for accrued vacation leave for separated employees.
In these sessions, the parties exchanged additional proposals on:
- Transportation, Commute and Travel Union
- Health and Safety
- Exit Interviews
- Affirmative Action
- Public Health
- Suspended Operations
- Hours of Work
- Management Rights and Responsibilities
The next UW IHME and SEIU 925 bargaining session is scheduled for September 23.