UW – SEIU 1199 Negotiations Recap for June 11 and 12, 2019
This recap details the twelfth and thirteenth sessions for the renewal of the collective bargaining agreement between the UW and SEIU 1199. Recaps are published online on the UW Labor Relations website.
SEIU 1199 Counters
Grievance Procedure – The Union proposed language stating that failure to include required information in a written grievance would not be a reason for invalidating the agreement, that the panel of arbitrators would consist of ten arbitrators, and that the grievance would be considered resolved when the parties agree the remedy has been met. The Union rejected language stating that the cost of mediation would be borne equally by both parties.
Resignation and Abandonment – The Union rejected UW’s proposal outlining the process by which the Employer shall deem resigned an employee who fails to appear for work and report absence to the supervisor on three consecutive scheduled work days.
Education Funds – The Employer proposed that Health Care Specialists and Leads be provided an increase from $1,800 to $2,000 per fiscal year pro-rated for FTE for education and professional development.
Nondiscrimination – The Employer incorporated a variation on language originally proposed by the Union stating that a grievance alleging discrimination or harassment must be submitted within 180 days of an alleged occurrence (the Union proposed one year), and that when a grievance is filed, the Employer would implement interim measures as appropriate.
Schedules and Overtime – The Union proposed that Dieticians become overtime eligible and be allowed a choice between a fixed and flexible schedule.
Employer Economic Proposal – The Employer proposed that the job classification Dietician 1 be moved to Pay Table BC at Pay Range 34, and that the job classification Dietician 2 be moved to Pay Table BC at Pay Range 44, and that all employees be placed at a step on the new range that is closest to, but not under, their current step value. The Employer further proposed the following premiums:
- Preceptor Pay – $1.50 per hour
- Certification Pay – $1.00 per hour for Dietician 2 job classifications
- Standby Pay – $3.75
- Weekend Shift Differential – $1.50 with weekend defined as from 12:00am Saturday until 12:00am Monday
Union Economic Proposal – The Union proposed that the job classification Dietician 1 be moved to Pay Table BC at Pay Range 43, and that the job classification Dietician 2 be moved to Pay Table BC at Pay Range 53, and that all employees be placed at a step on the new range that is closest to, but not under, their current step value. The Union further proposed the following premiums:
- Preceptor Pay – $1.50 per hour
- Certification Pay – $1.25
- Standby Pay – $4.00
- Weekend Shift Differential – $4.00
Tentative Agreements – The parties tentatively agreed to the following:
- Article 11 – Education and Professional Development (Dieticians only)
- Dieticians will be provided $500.00 per fiscal year based on departmental reimbursement policy and pro-rated for FTE
- MOU: Article 15 Committees – Dieticians
- Provided for a Joint Labor Management meeting every other month including up to two bargaining unit representatives plus a Union representative; agenda items will be provided at least seven days in advance
The next UW-SEIU 1199 bargaining session is scheduled for June 20.