Mission and vision
EOAA Mission and Vision
The Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) supports the University’s compliance with the law and in the spirit of equal opportunity and affirmative action as it relates to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, citizenship, sexual orientation, age, marital status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
The vision of UW and EOAA is to uphold the laws and respect equal opportunity in the selection and advancement of all qualified applicants and employees within the institution.
EOAA oversees the University’s affirmative action program. It is one of the institutional points of contact for federal and state agencies for equal opportunity and affirmative action compliance inquiries and compliance confirmation.
University of Washington Affirmative Action Policy
The University of Washington reaffirms its policy of equal opportunity regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, citizenship, sexual orientation, age, marital status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, or status as a protected veteran. This policy applies to all programs and facilities, including, but not limited to, admissions, educational programs, employment, and patient and hospital services. Any discriminatory action can be a cause for disciplinary action.
Discrimination is prohibited by:
- Presidential Executive Order 11246, as amended,
- Washington State Gubernatorial Executive Orders 89-01 and 93-07,
- Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964,
- Washington State Law Against Discrimination RCW 49.60,
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972,
- State of Washington Gender Equity in Higher Education Act of 1989,
- Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973,
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990,
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 as amended,
- Age Discrimination Act of 1975,
- Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1972 as amended,
- UW Executive Order No. 31,
- as well as other federal and state statutes, regulations, and University policy.
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action compliance efforts at the University of Washington are coordinated by the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action.