Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion

Transgender resources for UW employees

The University of Washington is committed to providing an inclusive, safe and respectful work environment for all employees, including those of all gender identities and expressions. Transgender, cisgender and nonbinary – all employees of all gender identities and expressions – have the right to be who they are and express their gender identity openly.

University departments and teams should strive to create work environments in which employees can be their authentic selves at work. Employees who transition on the job can expect the support of management and HR staff, who will work with the employee to ensure a successful workplace transition.

If you are a UW employee who is considering or in the process of transitioning, here you will find information about University policies, procedures and resources that are available to you. Supervisors and colleagues of transitioning employees can also find guidance. Whichever role you are in, you are encouraged to read each section of this resource.

The University relied upon and referred to materials from the following organizations to create this resource: Transgender Law Center, Human Rights Campaign Foundation, the University of Washington Q Center and the Patient and Family Education Committee of UW Medical Center.

Need to know policies and principles

Executive Order No. 31: University policy prohibits discrimination or harassment against a member of the University community because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, pregnancy, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.

Restroom and locker room access: You are welcome to use the restrooms, locker rooms, and changing rooms aligning with your gender or whichever choice you are most comfortable with. Gender-neutral restrooms are available for everyone to use.

Time off and leave of absence for transition-related care: Use of sick time off, unpaid time off, FMLA, shared leave and/or leave as a disability accommodation for medical appointments and procedures and recovery time associated with your transition will be approved on the same basis as for any other medical appointments and procedures.

If you need time off for transition-related medical care, notify your supervisor and/or department HR contact and they will help you get the proper forms to take to your provider for completion. You do not need to share medical details with your supervisor.

Completed forms from your health care provider do contain medical detail and should only be submitted to UW Human Resources Office (not your supervisor or departmental HR). Follow the instructions on the form that describe how to submit the form to UW Human Resources.

Gender affirming health insurance benefits: All of the health insurance plans offered by the UW provide medical coverage for gender transition services and procedures. Please contact your medical plan directly for more information regarding specific services and providers covered.

Privacy and confidentiality: You have the right to discuss your gender identity or expression openly, or to keep that information private. Your status as a transgender person (such as the sex you were assigned at birth) is considered confidential and should only be disclosed on a need-to-know basis.

Being you in Workday and UW systems

Legal name change: In order to get your legal name changed at UW, you will need a Social Security card with your new name on it (a receipt will not work).

Unless you are a medical centers employee, the name change process will be initiated in Workday. You will need to go through your local department Workday HR Partner.

If you are a medical centers employee, visit a Medical Centers HR Office to initiate the process: at Harborview, go to HR in the Patricia Steele Building; at UWMC, HR is in BB150; or at UW Tower – UWMC HR (by appointment).

Certain documents will require a legal name change in order for the University to change your name on the document – including official documents such as transcripts, diplomas, and financial aid records for alumni.

Preferred name change: For other documents and University systems, including Workday, the UW Directory, UW NetID, and Husky Card, you can use your preferred name without a legal name change.

  • Use Identity.UW to change how your name appears in Workday and the UW Directory. Select the “Set preferred name” button to get started.
  • Contact the UW-IT Service Center at 206-221-5000 if you would like to change your UW NetID. When you call, you will be asked for your Employee ID number (EID) and last 6 digits of your Social Security number (SSN).
  • Visit a Husky Card ID Center location to request a replacement Husky Card. Bring your current card with you to the ID Center. All name change replacement cards are assessed the standard $25 replacement fee. Note: Please wait at least 24 hours after changing your name in Workday before visiting a Husky Card ID Center to update your name on your Husky Card.