Human Resources

Paying for child care

Child care in the Puget Sound region is expensive. As a UW employee, you have access to tuition discounts for child care centers and nanny services. These are described on the off-site and it-home child care webpage.

In addition, the Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP) helps you pay for child care and elder care by allowing you to set aside a portion of your salary for eligible expenses. The money you set aside isn’t taxed, so you save money on eligible expenses for services like preschool, day care, nanny fees, care for a person who is disabled, and other similar services. Learn more on UW’s DCAP website.

Student parents may also be eligible for financial assistance through the student Child Care Assistance Program.

The following community programs also provide financial support for child care.

Assistance for military families: Families with active military members may be eligible for assistance with child care fees. Visit Child Care Aware of America for more information.

Financial assistance for Bellevue, Kent, Redmond and Auburn families: Financial assistance is available for families making less than 80% of the Average Median Income.  To learn more and apply, click here.

Goodwin Connections: Undergraduate and master’s students are eligible for financial support from Family Connections. There are two application cycles annually, which open in April and November. Learn more on the Goodwin Connections website.

King County Child Care Financial Assistance Program: If you live or work in King County, and your family was negatively impacted by COVID-19, you may qualify for the King County Child Care Financial Assistance Fund. Learn more and apply on the King County Child Care Financial Assistance website.

King County Veteran Student Child Care Subsidy: Child Care Resources administers a subsidy program for Veteran Students in partnership with the King County Veterans, Seniors, and Human Services Levy. To apply or learn more visit here or call 206-338-7570.

Seattle Child Care Assistance Program: Seattle’s CCAP program helps working families, or a parent going to school, who are eligible and live within the Seattle city limits pay for child care services for children up to 13 years old. Eligibility guidelines and application information are on the Seattle CCAP website.

Snoqualmie Tribe Child Care and Development Fund: This program is open to all Native American families that meet eligibility criteria and provides financial support for child care and early learning services. Eligibility and application information is available on the Snoqualmie Tribe website.

Washington State Working Connections Child Care Subsidy: Financial assistance is available for eligible families while they work, look for work, or go to school. When a family qualifies for child care subsidy benefits and chooses an eligible provider, the state pays a portion of the cost of child care. Parents may be responsible for a copayment to their provider each month. More information and eligibility requirements can be found here. Visit Washington Connection to apply.