Open Enrollment

PEBB Benefits Annual Open Enrollment for Faculty, Staff & Librarians: November 1-30, 2018

Open Enrollment is a great time to check your benefits!

The PEBB Annual Open Enrollment period is the annual window when you can add or remove dependents and/or make changes to Medical and Dental plans. The open enrollment begins November 1, 2018 and runs through November 30, 2018.

It’s also an ideal time for current subscribers to review the details of their medical or dental plan, and make adjustments if needed. Now is also a good time, to view your current retirement, long term disability, and other benefits, as well as reviewing your home and campus address information in case these should be updated.

During Open Enrollment, you may also enroll or re-enroll in a flexible spending account (FSA) – unless you elect a consumer-directed health plan with a health savings account (CDHP-HSA). You can also enroll or re-enroll in the Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP). These are optional pre-tax savings programs available to you. Re-enrollment is required if you wish to continue to contribute to these plans.

Attend a UW Benefits Fair
  • Husky Union Building (HUB) Seattle Campus – Tuesday, October 30
  • Harborview Research & Training Building – Wednesday, October 31
  • Health Sciences Lobby- Thursday, November 1
  • Download the Open Enrollment Flyer (4 MB .pdf)

All locations are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Adjustments you can make during open enrollment

  • Change your medical or dental plan.
  • Enroll or remove eligible dependents.
  • Enroll in a medical plan if you’ve previously waived coverage.
  • Waive enrollment in PEBB medical coverage (if you have or are enrolling in other employer-based group medical insurance, TRICARE, or Medicare).
  • Enroll or re-enroll in a FSA/DCAP.
  • Change your election under the state’s premium payment plan.

Return to top

2019 PEBB plan changes

The Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) approved a number of changes to PEBB Program rules, policies, benefits, and premiums that will go into effect January 1, 2019. More information and a summary of Open Enrollment changes are available at the Health Care Authority’s website. Look for more information in the For Your Benefit newsletter (.pdf) that was distributed to all PEBB members in mid-October.

Return to top

When to make changes to your insurance plan enrollment

If you are satisfied with your current health plan and it will be offered next year, you do not need to do anything and your health plan election will remain the same.

You must change your plan enrollment if any of the following apply to you:

  • You wish to reinstate previously waived medical coverage for yourself or your eligible dependent.
  • You have eligible dependents not previously enrolled that are to be added without having a qualifying life event.
  • You wish to change your Section 125 medical premium deduction election from pre-tax to post-tax or vice versa.
  • You moved during the year and your health plan is not available in your new area.

Some life circumstances may be considered a “qualifying life event,” which may trigger a special open enrollment opportunity allowing you to make insurance plan changes outside of the fall open enrollment as long as you submit within 60 days from date of the event.

Note: Per WAC 182-12-262, you are required to notify the UW of changes in dependent eligibility within 60 days of the date in which your dependent is no longer eligible.

Return to top

How to make changes to your health insurance plan enrollment

Open Enrollment Changes for UW faculty and staff are through Workday -To make changes to your health insurance or dental plan, make changes to your spousal surcharge attestation, or tobacco use premium surcharge attestation, or to enroll in FSA or DCAP, look for details to come soon about online open enrollment through Workday. 

Return to top

Learn more

Disclaimer: The information on this page does not substitute for official plan documents. If there is a conflict between the information on this site and an official plan document, the official plan document will govern.

Plan availability and eligibility may change depending on your employment status and/or actions of the Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA), the agency that purchases and coordinates health insurance benefits for public employees, including employees of the University of Washington, through the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) program.


Return to top