Resident and fellows: LTD insurance

While we all hope to never suffer from a debilitating illness or injury, there could come a time when you’re unable to work or continue your studies. Should this happen, long-term disability (LTD) insurance provides financial protection by paying you a monthly income.

As a full-time UW resident or fellow, you have Basic LTD insurance through PEBB which is covered by UW. You can also purchase additional Optional LTD coverage through PEBB. The premium you pay will depend on your retirement plan and the waiting period you select.

Note: As of 7/1/2020 the MedPlus Advantage plan, sponsored by the American Medical Association (AMA) is frozen to new enrollment. Those residents and fellows who were already participating in the AMA plan when the plan was frozen will maintain their enrollment in AMA for the duration of their residency or fellowship. Once your residency or fellowship ends, you transition to an ineligible position, or you elect to waive your AMA coverage you will not be able to re-enroll in AMA.

The following describes the frozen AMA-sponsored MedPlus Advantage plan.


Full details about the AMA-sponsored LTD plan can be found by reviewing the plan certificate. Download it by going to the MedPlus Advantage website and entering the ID number 644228. You can also download the plan summary (highlight sheet) and the Global Emergency Services brochure.


You’re eligible for MedPlus Advantage LTD insurance if you’re a full-time resident, fellow, chief resident, chief resident non-ACGME, senior fellow, or senior fellow trainee and were hired prior to 7/1/2020.

You must hold a M.D., Ph.D., Psy.D., D.O., D.M.D., or D.D.S., and you must be enrolled in one of the academic departments at the UW School of Medicine or in the School of Dentistry, School of Nursing, or School of Pharmacy.


You must enroll within the first 31 days from your date of hire for your residency or fellowship.

Coverage is effective on the first of the month following the date you apply. The policy plan year starts July 1 and ends the following year on June 30.

The monthly premium for the 2020-2021 plan year is $18. This premium is deducted directly from your paycheck in two installments, generally on the 10th and on the 25th of each month. When you enroll, the plan administrator, Professional Benefit Consultants, processes the enrollment form then sends your information to the UW Integrated Service Center (ISC) who begins your payroll deduction for the insurance.

File an LTD claim

Contact the UW Benefits Office to file a LTD claim at 206-543-4444.

Cancel LTD insurance

To cancel your AMA-sponsored LTD insurance, please send your written request to the Integrated Service Center (ISC) stating your wish to terminate your AMA-sponsored LTD insurance. Please include your Employee Identification Number (EID) in this request.

Once the ISC receives your request, your insurance coverage will terminate at the end of the month in which your notification was received.

Continue coverage

If you want LTD insurance after your residency or fellowships ends, you need to take action to convert your insurance coverage to an individual policy (see .

To do so, apply either for continuation of coverage within 31 days from when your AMA-sponsored coverage ends, or you can apply for coverage conversion during your entire last year of residency or 60 days from when your AMA-sponsored coverage ends. If you apply after the deadline, you won’t receive the discounted rates and you will be required to provide personal medical information and complete a medical exam.

To provide you with coverage options the UW works with our insurance broker, Parker, Smith & Feek.  Please contact them directly at and they can provide with information on the options available to you, including an option with discounted pricing which does not require any medical underwriting.

If you’re continuing employment at the UW after your residency or fellowship ends, you lose eligibility for the AMA LTD.  Contact Parker, Smith & Feek as outlined above, and they will assist you with a conversion product.