Northwest Hospital carryover time off
Table of Contents
This page was updated June 18, 2020.
All classified non-union staff, contract classified staff, and professional staff who worked in eligible positions at University of Washington Medical Center – Northwest prior to January 1, 2020 may have a balance of Northwest Hospital (NWH) carryover time off, which was converted from NWH Seattle sick leave.
NWH carryover time off can be used:
- For your own illness, injury, health condition, or disability
- For preventive care such as a medical, dental, or optical appointment(s)
- For a family member’s illness, injury, health condition, or disability, and/or preventive care such as medical, dental, or optical appointment
- For your or a family member’s medical and dental appointments
- For closure of the UW by order of a public official for any health-related reason or closure of a child’s school or place of care by order of a public official for any health-related reason. Note: The proclamation closing schools statewide expires June 19, 2020.
- For domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking covered absences
- During furlough for benefits maintenance only if the employee has previously exhausted all other paid time off balances.
NWH carryover should be used prior to using sick time off.
Family member definition
“Family member” is defined as a child or parent (including biological, adopted, foster, step, or legal guardian, or de facto parent), a spouse, registered domestic partner, spouse’s parent, grandparent, grandchild, or sibling.
Because NWH carryover time off is carried over from a former accrual at Northwest Hospital, balances will only be reduced, not added to.
Reinstatement or Transferability of Prior NWH carryover time off balance
NWH carryover time off does not transfer to other state agencies, nor is it reinstated if the employee leaves and then returns to a position at the UW.
Using Northwest Hospital carryover time off
NWH carryover time off may be used only for authorized purposes.
For foreseeable absences, you should provide notice at least ten days in advance of the absence, or as early as practicable to schedule your NWH carryover time off in advance following your unit’s time off request procedure. If you are not able to schedule time off in advance, follow your unit’s call-out procedure.
To use NWH carryover time off, check your balance and enter your time off requests in Kronos.
Certain reasons for using NWH carryover time off may fall under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). If this is the case, you will be asked to follow our FMLA policy and procedures. This will include providing medical certification from a health-care provider. Visit FMLA for additional information.
Other medical certification
Even if your NWH carryover time off is not covered by FMLA, you may still be asked to provide medical certification.
Verification may only be requested if you use or request to use NWH carryover time off after absences on three consecutive scheduled work days.
- Three consecutive scheduled work days — An employee who is scheduled to work on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays uses NWH Carryover time off (in any amount) on Wednesday and Friday of the first week and Monday the next week. If NWH Carryover off is used again on the Wednesday of that week, the employee would have absences exceeding three days.
If you are seeking to use or have used NWH carryover time off for authorized purposes for more than three (3) consecutive days, your unit may require you to provide verification that establishes that the use of NWH carryover time off is for an authorized purpose.
Verification must be provided within 10 calendar days of the first day you used NWH carryover time off to care for yourself or a family member. You are not required to provide any details concerning the specific nature of the health condition in order to use NWH Carryover time off, unless otherwise required by law.
If verification is requested, acceptable verification may include:
- A doctor’s note or a signed statement by a health care provider indicating that the use of NWH Carryover time off is necessary to take care of yourself or your family member; or
- Notice that your child’s school or place of care was closed by a public official for a health-related reason.
If you or a member of your family have been a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, review the Time off related to domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking webpage.
Unreasonable burden or expense for verification
If obtaining verification for use of NWH carryover leave would result in an unreasonable burden or expense for you, please contact your Human Resources consultant. You will be asked to provide an oral or written statement that explains:
- Your use of NWH carryover time off was for an authorized purpose; and,
- How the verification requirement creates an unreasonable burden or expense.
Within 10 calendar days of receiving your statement, the University will make a reasonable effort to identify and provide alternatives for you to meet the verification requirement in a manner which does not result in an unreasonable burden or expense.
Corrective or disciplinary action may be taken if you:
- Fail to provide verification according to your unit’s policy
- Fail to provide appropriate notice of the need for NWH carryover time
- Use Northwest Hospital carryover time off for unauthorized purposes
Intersection with other programs and policies
NWH Carryover time off is not paid at retirement or death, not included in the Annual Attendance Incentive Program, nor is it included as an eligible time off for donation under the Shared Leave Program.
Employees moving to a new position outside of the following locations will forfeit their NWH carryover time off balance:
- UW Medical Center (Montlake and Northwest)
- Harborview Medical Center
- Airlift Northwest
- Medical Centers Shared Services
However, if a School of Medicine employee has a NWH carryover balance, the hours may also transfer to the above locations.
Moving from staff to academic personnel
NWH Carryover does not transfer when moving from staff to faculty.
NWH carryover is not paid at separation.
Time off requests
You should respond to an employee’s time off request as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, including whether the time off request could fall under FMLA, contact your leave specialist.
You may not require that the employee find a replacement worker to cover the hours during which they are using NWH carryover time off.
Any discrimination or retaliation against an employee for lawful exercise of NWH Carryover time off rights is not allowed. Corrective action may not be taken for the lawful use of NWH carryover time off.