Bereavement time off
The University grants up to three days of bereavement time off for the death of a family member, including the miscarriage or stillbirth of your child, to:
- contract covered, classified, and professional staff in non-temporary positions; and
- employees in Nonpermanent – Fixed Duration positions represented by SEIU 925.
Bereavement time off is separate from your accrued sick and vacation time off.
Definition of family member
|If you are…||A covered family member is…|
|Classified non-union||Defined by Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 357-01-172 and 357-31-250|
|Contract covered staff||Determined by your collective bargaining agreement|
|Professional staff||Your spouse, same or opposite sex domestic partner, child, parent, sister, brother, grandparent, or grandchild
Your spouse’s or registered domestic partner’s child, parent, or grandparent
Those persons in a “step” relationship
Requesting bereavement time off
You must take bereavement time off in full-day increments.
- For campus staff: To request bereavement time off, follow your department’s usual request procedures and make the appropriate time off request in Workday.
- For medical centers staff: To request bereavement time off, follow your department’s usual request procedures.
Your supervisor may require verification of the family member’s death.
Using other time offs for bereavement
Speak to your manager if you would like to use another type of time off for bereavement or condolence purposes. You may be able to use sick or other time off if:
- Your loved one is not covered by your employment program’s or collective bargaining agreement’s definition of family member
- Three days of paid bereavement time off does not adequately cover your bereavement obligations, such as having to travel a long distance
Bereavement time off during probationary or trial service period
You are eligible to take time off for bereavement during your probationary or trial service period, however your probationary or trial service period lengthens by the number of bereavement days you take.
APS 43.15 Time off and Leave Policy for Classified Non-Union Staff