I believe that conflict and conflict resolution provide an opportunity for growth and to that end offer a range of services including, but not limited to, mediation, facilitation, training, conflict coaching and organizational development, all designed for positive change in organizational and inter-personal relationships. I have been helping people move from conflict to collaboration and become more effective as individuals, teams and/or leaders, for over twenty-five years. Believing that each project is a unique systemic effort, I aim to learn as much as possible about my clients and the culture in which they operate and involve my clients in the intervention design. My strengths lie in an ability to listen, relate and empower people to move through unproductive behaviors and/or systems towards creative solutions and a better future. I aim to draw out the best in individuals and groups and to create interactive, dynamic, and sustainable growth.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE/RESULTS
- Conflict Intervention/Mediation
- Curriculum Development/Training
- Retreat and Meeting Facilitation
- Communication Effectiveness/conflict coaching
- Employee Development/Change Management
- Labor-management relations
EXPERIENCE / SELECTED PROJECTS
- Change Management Coaching/Facilitation/Teambuilding
Example project 1: With input from the employees in the work unit, two ½ -day meetings and a report out to management were designed. Outcomes included: shared definition of a future vision including what’s working, what’s awry, and what adds value.Example project 2: Interviewed a culturally diverse team of administrative staff and then held a joint meeting to surface and resolve issues in a productive manner. Outcomes included reaffirmed team values and improved communication.
- Conflict Resolution/Mediation
Example: Mediated hundreds of cases often between supervisors and employees, sometimes between employees. When there is a continuing relationship, the mediation style used is the facilitative/transformative model with the goal of preserving the relationship while resolving the complaint or grievance. Outcomes include withdrawn complaints, improved communication, increased respect, and establishment of behavioral norms.
- Customized Training Examples
- Negotiation Training
- Basic 40-hour Mediation
- Communications in the Workplace
- Effective Communication in Difficult Circumstances
- Respectful Feedback Between Co-Workers in the Workplace
- Basic Facilitation Skills for Meetings
- Learning to Bridge the Generation Gap at Work
- Employee Development/Change Management Coaching/Leadership Coaching
Example 1: A high level supervisor was coached how to better deal with her staff and colleagues in a workplace challenged by budget cuts and high caseloads. Outcomes included improved communication with her boss and staff and a decrease in the amount of time she spent on conflict while increasing the productivity overall in the office.Example 2: A business owner was coached through the challenges presented by a difficult but valuable employee whose outbursts were causing disruption and low morale. Outcomes included an increase in confidence and a sense of empowered to make wise decisions with results that were a win-win for everyone.
- Meeting/Retreat Planning/Facilitation
Example Project 1: Intervened and facilitated meetings for a team of technical experts from industry, state and federal environmental agencies at a time when it appeared that disagreements and personalities were leading to major litigation. Outcomes included improved communication, trust and an ability to identify their common interests while working through their differences.Example Project 2: Facilitated two half day retreats in order to reassess the vision and mission of the organization. Outcomes included development of goals and expectations, a work plan and assignments and fun while building the team.
- J.D. University of Washington, B.A. Psychology and Sociology University of Colorado
- Numerous years of continuing education and training in mediation, advanced mediation, leadership development, facilitation, coaching and communication
- Part-time Faculty, Seattle University School of Law and Director of the Mediation Clinic
- Training Coordinator, Basic Mediation Training, Dispute Resolution Center of King County
- Member, NW Dispute Resolution Conference Planning Committee
- EEO Subcommittee Co-chair, Pacific Coast Labor and Employment Law Conference
- Certified Mediator by the Washington Mediation Association
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Vulcan, Inc.
- Samish Tribe
- King County
- City of Bellingham
- Washington Department of Labor & Industries
- Washington State Transit Insurance Pool
- U.S. Postal Service
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Seattle School District
- Lakeside High School
- Bellevue College
- Discovery Montessori