BERK Consulting, Inc.
BERK is an interdisciplinary consultancy integrating strategy, planning, and policy development; financial and economic analysis; and facilitation, design, and communications. Founded in 1988, our passion is working in the public interest, helping public and nonprofit agencies address complex challenges and position themselves for success.
Our Mission is: Helping Communities and Organizations Create Their Best Futures.
We do this by:
- Integrating the art of effective decision-making with the science of rigorous quantitative and qualitative analysis;
- Bringing people, ideas, and analysis together to generate understanding and consensus on the best strategies and decisions; and
- Bridging across disciplines to synthesize diverse information and facilitate relationships.
A hallmark of our approach is our ability to communicate complex information to a wide range of audiences, using words, numbers, pictures, and maps to convey information in accessible, understandable formats. We believe that when participants truly understand the issues and options before them, they are able to make good decisions, and then communicate and explain those decisions to the broader community.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE/RESULTS
- Business Analysis & Organizational Review
- Business Planning
- Creativity & Innovation
- Process Improvement & Design
- Retreat & Meeting Facilitation
- Strategic Planning
EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS OF KEY STAFF
Allegra Calder has two decades of experience in policy and program development, strategic planning, and communications. She brings expertise in education, housing, public health, and transportation. A skilled facilitator, Allegra is a trusted advisor to many organizations across the Puget Sound region. She frequently is asked to lead annual planning retreats involving both staff and decisionmakers. Her ability to engage others in productive conversations on a diverse array of topics make her a sought-after facilitator for many groups.
Prior to joining BERK, she worked at the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University and the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy. Allegra received her B.A. with distinction from McGill University and her M.A. in Urban Design from Oxford Brookes University. She is the Chair of the Board of the Seattle Parks Foundation, a member of the Downtown Residents Council and Policy Committee of the Downtown Seattle Association, and a member of King County’s Parks Levy Oversight Board. She is a 2011 graduate of Leadership Tomorrow.
Brian Murphy has expertise in strategic and business planning, facilitation, organizational effectiveness, and management consulting. His practice includes strategic planning for organizations and communities, emergency management, and work for libraries across the country. He is also an expert facilitator, ensuring diverse viewpoints are heard and that group processes contribute to mission-alignment and effectiveness.
Brian has developed strategic plans for dozens of organizations, including cities, foundations, non-profits, public sector agencies, and educational organizations since joining BERK in 2002. His strategic plans are both actionable and implementable – they are meant to be living documents, updated and revised by the organization as they grow.
Brian joined the firm in 2002 and is a skilled manager of complex analytic and planning projects with many moving pieces and nuanced policy choices. Brian received a B.A with Honors from UC Santa Cruz and an M.B.A from the University of Washington. He is a 2003 graduate of Leadership Tomorrow.
- Alliance for Pioneer Square
- American Library Association
- The Aspen Institute
- Bellevue Downtown Association
- Foundation for Tacoma Students
- Fred Hutch Cancer Research Institute
- The Kenneth Rainin Foundation
- The Nature Conservancy
- Public Health National Center for Innovations
- School’s Out Washington
- Seattle Children’s
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- College Success Foundation
- Community Center for Education Results
- Degrees of Change Tacoma
- Downtown Seattle Association
- Seattle Girls School
- Tacoma Housing Authority
- Thrive by Five
- University of Washington iSchool
- University of Washington School of Public Health
- Washington State Charter Schools Association
- Washington STEM
Learn more about our experience and team at www.berkconsulting.comReturn to Meet the Consultants