UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
Specification for Class
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT 1
UW CODE AND REPRESENTATIVE GROUP
17081 (NE S SEIU 925 Non Supv)
21228 (NE H SEIU 925 Non Supv)
18107 (NE S SEIU 925 Contact Center)
21233 (NE H SEIU 925 Contact Center)
CLASS SERIES CONCEPT
Perform a variety of clerical duties in support of office or unit operations.
The Administrative Assistant series differs from the Program Assistant and Program Coordinator because jobs in the program series perform work requiring knowledge and experience specific to a program, as defined in the Class Series Concept for Program Assistant.
In support of office or unit operations, perform repetitive, routine, or relatively simple clerical duties/tasks such as data entry, serving as receptionist, establishing and maintaining record keeping/filing systems and/or database files, performing mathematical calculations and copying materials.
First level in the Administrative Assistant series. Under direct supervision, perform a variety of routine office support functions, such as copying or scanning materials, filing documents in a filing system, posting records, answering telephones or checking departmental voicemail, and/or receiving visitors, distributing mail and other office materials, and typing correspondence, memoranda, reports and forms using word processing, spreadsheet and other software applications. Public and departmental contact role is limited in scope.
- Photocopy and collate material; scan files and save PDFs into predetermined filing system;
- Type correspondence, memoranda, reports, and forms from handwritten notes, or typewritten copy, using word processing, spreadsheet, and other software applications; may update website or social media text;
- Prepare and proofread letters, presentations, and departmental materials for typographical and spelling errors based on predetermined content;
- Stack, stamp, open, code, sort, file or alphabetize correspondence, records, or materials according to established procedures and predetermined categories; maintain files and records; open and date-stamp incoming mail; sort and route mail; pick up and prepare outgoing mail; maintain logs, lists, rosters, directories, and other records;
- Answer telephones; following clearly established guidelines, answer routine questions; receive and refer visitors; function as a receptionist;
- Operate a variety of office equipment, such as computer/word processor and associated software, calculator, document imaging, printers, multi-line phone system, and copy machine; may request office equipment maintenance or facilities repairs;
- Track and receive office supply inventory, order and stock supplies, and maintain records of orders;
- Perform complex rapid data entry tasks;
- Perform basic arithmetic such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division;
- May run or pull routine departmental lists or reports; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requires High School/GED AND one year of office clerical support experience OR equivalent education/experience.
New Class: 7-1-18 as negotiated with SEIU 925 and WFSE in the Memorandum of Understanding for Administrative Classification Title Consolidation to consolidate the work of the following job titles and job class codes:
- Data Entry Operator 1, job codes 17383 (NE S SEIU 925 Non Supv) and 20433 (NE H SEIU 925 Non Supv);
- Data Entry Operator 2, job code 17384 (NE S SEIU 925 Non Supv);
- Data Entry Operator – Contact Center, job code 18100 (NE S SEIU 925-Contact Center);
- Office Assistant 1, job codes 17220 (NE S SEIU 925 Non Supv), 18626 (NE S WFSE HMC), and 18740 (NE S WFSE Libraries);
- Word Processing Operator 1, job code 17260 (NE S SEIU 925 Non Supv), and
- Word Processing Operator 2, job codes 17261 (NE S SEIU 925 Non Supv), 18630 (NE S WFSE HMC and 18748 (NE S WFSE Libraries).