UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
Specification for Class
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT 2
UW CODE AND REPRESENTATIVE GROUP
17082 (NE S SEIU 925 Non Supv)
21229 (NE H SEIU 925 Non Supv)
18108 (NE S SEIU 925 Contact Center)
21234 (NE H SEIU 925 Contact Center)
18694 (NE S WFSE HMC)
21686 (NE H CNU)
CLASS SERIES CONCEPT
Perform a variety of clerical duties in support of office or unit operations.
The Administrative Assistant series differs from Program Assistant and Program Coordinator because jobs in the program series perform work requiring knowledge and experience specific to a program, as defined in the Class Series Concept for Program Assistant.
Perform a wide scope of clerical work and administrative support assignments.
Second level in the Administrative Assistant series. Under general supervision, independently perform administrative assignments of increasing variety and complexity that require knowledge of University of Washington, departmental, or unit policies and guidelines, and the use of judgment in non-routine matters, such as scheduling meetings, maintaining multiple calendars, coordinating venues, taking minutes of meetings, editing and summarizing minutes for distribution, and arranging departmental events or student-related functions.
Under general supervision, independently perform a variety of complex clerical projects and assignments such as preparing reports, preparing, reviewing, verifying and processing fiscal documents and/or financial records, composing correspondence such as transmittals and responses to frequent requests for information, establishing manual or electronic recordkeeping/filing systems and/or data base files, and responding to inquiries requiring substantive knowledge of office/departmental policies and procedures.
- Serve as a liaison on behalf of the department or organizational unit to staff, management, clients, and external organizations to explain and apply guidelines, policies, and procedures applicable to the assigned department or organizational unit; may update website or social media text;
- Arrange departmental events or student-related functions;
- Schedule meetings, maintain multiple calendars, coordinate venues, take minutes of meetings, edit and summarize minutes for distribution;
- Coordinate travel arrangements and itineraries with external agencies or contacts following University of Washington and departmental policies; prepare and complete travel expense reports, timesheets, payroll reports, and personnel forms;
- Establish and manage departmental files and record keeping systems in accordance to established record retention cycles;
- Review and assess content of documents and data for accuracy following University of Washington and departmental guidelines and policies, initiate corrections as necessary;
- Track and maintain records for expenditures, revenue, and other financial records, may create reports as requested;
- Receive, process, and allocate incoming departmental payments and materials based on departmental knowledge;
- Act as primary contact for vendors, responding to a variety of questions based on ongoing contracts and services;
- May perform executive secretarial support to an administrative head(s);
- May provide work direction to lower level staff and assist in orienting and training new staff;
- May attend meetings and/or conferences as department representative;
- May handle sensitive and confidential documents or materials;
- Perform duties of Administrative Assistant 1; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requires High School/ GED AND two years of office or administrative support experience OR an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
New Class: 7-1-18 as negotiated with SEIU 925 and WFSE in the Memorandum of Understanding for Administrative Classification Title Consolidation to consolidate the work of the following job titles and job class codes:
- Office Assistant 2, job code 17221 (NE S SEIU 925 Non-Supv);
- Office Assistant 2, job code 18627 (NE S WFSE HMC);
- Office Assistant 2, job code 18741 (NE S WFSE LIBRARIES);
- Data Entry Operator 3, job code 17385 (NE S SEIU 925 Non-Supv);
- Statistical Typist, job code 17234 (NE S SEIU 925 Non-Supv);
- Technical Secretary, job code 17238 (NE S SEIU 925 Non-Supv);
- Secretary, job code 17244 (NE S SEIU 925 Non-Supv);
- Secretary, job code 18629 (NE S WFSE HMC);
- Secretary, job code 18743 (NE S WFSE LIBRARIES);
- Secretary-BIOENGR, job code 18500 (NE S WFSE CAMPUSWIDE)