Hiring process guide
Here are the key steps in hiring staff positions:
- Create Position — For new positions, the first step is to create your position in Workday. Follow the instructions for Creating a New Position. (You may create a position and a requisition simultaneously by selecting create a requisition and indicating it is for a new position.) Contact the Integrated Service Center (ISC) if you need assistance.
- Create Requisition — Once you have created the position in Workday or if you are replacing a current position, the next step is to create your requisition in Workday. Follow these instructions and contact the ISC if you need assistance: Job Requisition – Existing Position – Staff Campus or Job Requisition – Existing Position – Medical Centers
- Requisition Approval — Your requisition will be reviewed and approved by your unit approvers in Workday. When fully approved, your employment representative will review and approve the requisition in Workday and send it to UWHIRES.
- Job Posting — When fully approved, your employment representative will post the position to the UW employment website, where applicants can apply for the position.
- Resume Review — Your employment representative will review resumes against all requirements and then place top candidates on your hiring manager workbench in UWHIRES for you to review.
- Interviews, Reference Checks, and Dispositioning — You will review resumes, conduct interviews, and check references on final candidates prior to making a final hiring decision. During your review and evaluation of candidates, you will disposition candidates to track and document their status in the hiring process.
- Propose Salary Offer — Once you have selected a qualified final candidate, you will need to establish a proposed salary and obtain approval for the salary offer.
- Offer Review — Your employment representative will review and approve the proposed salary offer.
- Offer Approval — Your designated department approvers will review and approve the salary.
- Extend Offer — Once the salary has been approved, you can make the offer to the candidate. Contact your employment representative if salary negotiation is needed. (For positions that are designated as security/safety sensitive, offers must be made contingent upon a successful background check.)
- Offer Acceptance — After an offer is accepted, select the Department Hire (pre-hire Activity) in UWHIRES to alert your employment representative that the offer has been accepted and provide the start date.
- Background Checks — Your employment representative will run a background check if needed and complete the required action in UWHIRES.
- Hire Complete — The hire information will be sent to Workday where the hire is completed.
General hiring information
The employment process is managed through UWHIRES and step-by-step hiring instructions for different types of employment programs and positions are provided in the left-hand side links.
- Approval for hiring: The UW Compensation Office is responsible for determining whether a position is classified, contract covered, or professional staff, and whether the position is overtime covered or overtime exempt.
- For classified non-union and contract covered positions, the Compensation Office assigns the job classification.
- For professional staff positions, the Compensation Office must confirm that the position meets one or more of the exemption criteria, and then assign the position to a salary grade and pay range.
- Your employment team is here to help: Each department (or position type in some cases) has a dedicated employment representative who coordinates and provides guidance and support throughout the hiring process. Employment representatives work with hiring managers and departmental administrators to post jobs to the UW employment website and place other recruitment-related advertising. During the selection process, employment representatives assist departments in developing interviewing tools, reviewing the applicant pool for top candidates, advising on required reference checking, developing offer letters, and conducting background checks. If you are a new hiring manager, you will need to be set up in UWHIRES (contact your employment representative). You will be given your own hiring manager workbench where you can view and keep track of all your recruiting and selection activities.
- Criminal background checks: At the time of recruitment for a new or vacant position (or before a volunteer can be engaged), each employing unit is responsible for determining whether the position is properly designated as security/safety sensitive in accordance with the established criteria for designating security/safety sensitive positions. Your employment representative can assist with identifying if the position fits these criteria.
- UWHIRES – Manager workbench: For information and resources for UWHIRES, visit your UWHIRES – hiring manager workbench page.