New employee onboarding
Welcoming a new employee is an important task for any hiring manager. You’re responsible for introducing the new hire to their position’s responsibilities along with policies, processes, your unit’s unique environment and the UW culture. Successful onboarding ensures that a new employee feels welcomed, increases the speed at which the employee learns their new job, and builds the UW’s reputation as a great place to work.
Get started by downloading the Onboarding Toolkit, an invaluable resource developed by Professional & Organizational Development. The toolkit includes checklists and tips that help ensure your new hire is set up for success.
Orientations for new employees
Coming in 2018: Welcome Day, the improved orientation that combines the current Benefits and New Employee Orientations, launches January 8, 2018. Welcome Day registration is open for winter, but employees with upcoming benefits enrollment deadlines should attend the remaining 2017 Benefits Orientations on December 18 or 26.
As your new employee begins their career, make sure to encourage their participation in orientations that introduce them to the basics of working at UW, their UW benefits package, and our campus culture:
- ONE UW is an online orientation helping new staff on the Seattle, Bothell, and Tacoma campuses prepare for their first day at work and beyond.
- New Employee Orientation, facilitated by POD, is an in-person orientation to the UW and strongly recommended for new staff members with home departments on the Seattle campus. In addition to providing a dynamic orientation to the UW, new employees have an opportunity to meet fellow new employees, ask questions, and, for those in applicable positions, talk with union representatives.
- Benefits Orientation is also strongly recommended and should be completed within the first 30 days of employment to ensure new employees have the time and information they need to enroll in UW benefits. Benefits Orientation is mandatory for staff covered under the SEIU 925 and WFSE contracts.
- SLP Supervisor Orientation is strongly recommended for new supervisors to gain a deeper understanding of their role in human resources administration at the UW.
- UW Medicine New Employee Orientation is a required training for Medical Centers employees that welcomes new employees to the organization’s mission, vision, and values. This program assists employees in gaining a sense of who we are and what it means to be a member of UW Medicine. It also fulfills many of our regulatory-related training requirements and must be completed within 30 days of hire. Most new Medical Centers employees are automatically registered for this event and typically attend on their first day of employment.