Coaching is a unique relationship that provides confidential, individual guidance to help you develop your leadership skills, overcome challenges, plan for the future, and maximize success. Most of us have gaps in knowledge, blind spots, or other shortcomings that prevent us from being the best leaders we can be. A coach can help you realize your full potential by acting as a resource, sounding board, and partner and also by providing unbiased feedback and asking questions that spark discussion, provoke thought, and inspire self-reflection.
Coaching has been shown to increase the effectiveness of training and to have a high return on investment (ROI):
- According to Public Personnel Management, “When training is combined with coaching, individuals increased productivity by an average of 88 percent.”
- According to The Hay Group, “More than 50% of Fortune 500 companies use executive coaches and six out of ten companies offer coaching to mid and senior level managers. ROI from the study is 529%. Coaching is the best strategy/methodology for successful leaders.”
Through its University Consulting Alliance, POD has access to more than a dozen internal and external consultants who have experience with both higher education and leadership coaching. Coaching sessions generally run $200 to $300 per hour, and planning on five to ten sessions is a good start for most people.
- Strategic Leadership Program: SLP has contributed to the success of UW supervisors for more than 15 years; it includes a workshop for new supervisors as well as offerings for more seasoned leaders.
- Quarterly classes: Every quarter POD offers classes that build UW-specific supervisory skills and promote leadership and organizational excellence.
Additional tools and resources
- Assessments: A variety of assessments are available to help you and your team increase your awareness and advance your goals.
- UW ARC 360: This 360-degree feedback and development program is based on competencies created by POD for specific roles at the UW.
- Leading Edge newsletter: Every quarter, POD publishes this online magazine for UW leaders.