A well-published organizational effectiveness practitioner and scholar I have extensive experience working in the international higher education sector – both as faculty and as an external consultant. I bring a unique combination of extensive practical experience in the higher education sector and knowledge of the latest in higher-education best practice to all of my engagements.
Having worked at all levels of the university system from the President’s/Vice-Chancellor’s office through to individual research and teaching units I have developed a wide-range of sector-specific skills including deep practitioner knowledge on issues such as:
- change management in university-wide processes,
- increasing diversity in student and faculty bodies,
- establishing and developing research institutes and centers,
- the impact of ongoing shifts in external grant funding on research,
- the effect of changing mediums (particularly digital) on university-teaching and pedagogy, and
- international collaborations.
I have worked across all sectors of the university system but have developed a special expertise in (a) large systems process change and (b) the health sector – particularly health research translation. With international reach being an increasingly important part of any university’s strategic direction I also bring extensive experience working in facilitating and developing international research collaborations (and research translation processes) and in the attraction of international students.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE/RESULTS
- Strategic Planning Facilitation
- Change Management Facilitation
- Process Improvement Facilitation
- Retreat/Meeting Facilitation
- Business Analysis and Organizational Review
- Diversity Consultation
- Organizational Restructuring
- Academic Leadership Coaching
EXPERIENCE / SELECTED PROJECTS
- Part of a group of senior academic leaders drawn from across the New Zealand university sector working to increase the quality and quantity of academic publishing by minority-status faculty members across the entire New Zealand higher-education system in a project funded by the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC).
- Led the design and implementation of a program to increase the number of students of color (particularly indigenous students) enrolling at Massey University.
- Led a team funded by the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) scoping out best practice implementation measures for developing leadership training for senior members of the University of the South Pacific (USP).
- Led a team from the Commonwealth of Learning (the Commonwealth’s key education body) to scope out and provide recommendations for the shift to, and delivery of, digitally mediated educational programs for distance learning for the University of Papua New Guinea (UPNG).
MA & PhD in Political Science and International Relations (focus on organizational effectiveness)
Held senior leadership roles in institutions of higher education in a range of countries
Ongoing research and teaching in organizational effectiveness
Extensive experience in the developing world (including the brokering of research collaborations and partnerships)
- United Nations Development Program (UNDP)
- New Zealand Royal Society
- Australian National University
- New Zealand Ministry of Health
- World Bank
- University of Auckland
- Health Research Council
Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID)