M. Tamra Chandler
I am a founding partner and the CEO of PeopleFirm, LLC, a strategy and execution consulting firm dedicated to helping organizations achieve the ultimate win-win: inspired people driving inspiring performance. In my 25 years of experience guiding clients through strategic programs, I have applied a results-oriented, down-to-earth approach with an unwavering focus on the human element of organizations. My trademark is an ability to keep the larger picture in full view while managing the complex details of business transformation projects.
I am a published writer and thought leader in topics related to building high performing teams and organizations. Those topics include strategy execution, culture evolution, structural strategy and design, employee experience, talent strategies including workforce and succession planning, performance management, and change management. My most recent book, How Performance Management is Killing Performance—and What To Do About It, was recognized as a top business book in 2016 and 2017.
Before founding PeopleFirm in 2008, I was the Managing Partner for the Pacific Northwest Arthur Andersen Business Consulting practice and the Global Leader for People and Solutions at Hitachi Consulting. At Hitachi, I was one of four executives accountable for the performance of Hitachi’s global consulting business.
Under my leadership, PeopleFirm has built a reputation as a go-to partner for people strategy, talent management, organizational performance, and change management. What’s more, it’s a company that walks the talk for its people, earning consistent recognition locally and nationally as a top place to work. Additionally, I’ve received individual accolades including placement on Consulting Magazine’s list of the country’s “Top 25 Consultants” in 2007 and 2014.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE/RESULTS
- Business Analysis & Organizational Review
- Business Case Development
- Change Management – design, education, execution
- Keynote Speaking
- Executive Team Development and Coaching
- Organizational Restructuring – design and implementation,
- Retreat / Meeting – planning and facilitation
- Strategic Planning – facilitation, design, and execution
- Team Building / Development
- Role Framework Development / Role clarity
- Cultural Transformation
- Performance Management Reboot / Performance Management Design and Execution
- Emerging Leaders Programs
- Leader Alignment
- Developing a High Performing Organization
- Talent Management – strategy, design, process optimization
- Employee Engagement – assessment and engagement program design
- Succession planning / workforce planning
- Organizational Performance Consulting
- Organizational Design
- Information Technology Planning and System Selection
- Technology Integration and Adoption
- Workforce Transformation
- Process Reengineering
- Merger and Integration
- Program Management
EXPERIENCE / SELECTED PROJECTS
I have many projects I could speak to, having partnered with a vast array of clients to solve a range of problems over my 25 years of consulting. Below I highlight just a few of the most recent ones. Additional highlights can easily be provided upon request.
- A leading global medical devices company has experienced rapid growth resulting in significant demands on their talent needs over the past 10 years. As a strategic partner, Tamra worked with them for over 8 years on projects ranging from defining their global people strategy to restructuring their global HR team.
- Large NW-based utility company is a long-standing client of Tamra’s and PeopleFirm. Our relationship began by defining a multi-year talent strategy and plan for the Board. Work has included an in-depth analysis of the aging workforce risks. I’ve led strategic transformations of key departments within the organization. Today we continue our partnership working with the Administrator to transform their leadership culture.
- An IT organization needed to completely transform to meet the agility and speed-to-market challenges inherent in their strategy. This necessitated new governance models, the introduction of agility methodology, and new business / customer engagement practices. Tamra led the work with the client team which encompassed a full transformation process beginning with strategy through a comprehensive change management program to on-board all IT members into their new role and operating model.
- With a new leadership team in place, our healthcare client called upon Tamra and PeopleFirm to develop their new people agenda. Following an engaging process defining a new employee experience, PeopleFirm helped make it real, supporting the development of key tools and content including their Manager Playbook that has received significant recognition.
- Tamra and team are currently working with the world’s largest berry company to reimagine their global HR team. Our work is vital to positioning this global organization for continued growth, while increasing the quality and consistency of services HR delivers globally.
- S., Electrical Engineering, Montana State University, 1985
- B.A., University of Washington, 1990
- Edwards Lifesciences
- Satellite Healthcare
- Bonneville Power Administration
- Seattle Reparatory Theatre
- Alaska Airlines
- City of Seattle
- Ports of Seattle and Portland
- Portland Public Schools
- Group Health
- Boing Employees Credit Union
- Safeco Insurance
- Seattle Coffee Company
- Starbucks Coffee Co.
- World Vision