I offer over 20 years of combined experience as a teacher, trainer, mediator, mentor, and coach. Whether teaching university students or coaching mediation practitioners, I am passionate about making communication meaningful in everyday life. I work with individuals and groups interested in a range of issues: from the communication principles and skills that drive conflict and its resolution to the power of story to interpret and transform reality. Through individual coaching, group facilitation, or classroom projects I work to foster personal growth, positive team environments, and engaged learning experiences.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE/RESULTS
- Mediator with experience as a manager and a consultant addressing simple-to-complex issues in diverse contexts
- Training on a variety of topics connecting communication principles to mediation contexts and leadership development
- Facilitator for diverse groups using a variety of strategies: facilitated discussions, case studies, role plays, mixed media, on-line interfaces, and small group projects and discussions
- Facilitating team building for groups working on long-term projects
EXPERIENCE / SELECTED PROJECTS
- Designed and implemented fifteen different undergraduate university communication courses, most recently for the University of Washington, including: Communication in Small Groups, Communication, Conflict, and Cooperation, Gender and Communication, Persuasion, and Public Speaking.
- Developed and conducted training seminars on communication and conflict for dispute resolution professionals and university residence life leadership.
- Designed and implemented advanced dispute resolution curriculum for King County Dispute Resolution Center court volunteers.
- Provided coaching for King County supervisors through the Office of Alternative Dispute Resolution for King County.
- Provided over one hundred hours of coaching for the King County Dispute Resolution Center (KCDRC) Basic Mediation Training and KCDRC practicum students working toward mediation certification. Participants include attorneys, entrepreneurs, human resources professionals, medical practitioners, therapists, social workers, educators, and a range of profit and not-for-profit business professionals.
- Ph.D., Speech Communication, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
- M.A., Speech Communication, California State University, Northridge, CA
- Certified Mediator, King County Dispute Resolution Center, Seattle, WA
- University of Washington, Department of Communication and School of Law Mediation Clinic
- Seattle University, Department of Communication
- Seattle University School of Law Dispute Resolution Clinic
- King County Dispute Resolution Center, Seattle, WA
- Office of Alternative Dispute Resolution, King County, Seattle, WA