HR Operations

Personal holiday

All monthly paid employees receive one paid personal holiday per calendar year.

To receive this holiday, you must have completed at least four months of continuous University employment. (Classified non-union employees need only to be scheduled to have at least four months of continuous employment.)

Academic student employees (ASE) should refer to their collective bargaining agreement for information about personal holidays.

Personal holiday hours

Full-time employees receive eight hours of leave for their paid holiday.

Part-time employees receive a prorated amount based on their FTE percentage. For example, if you work 20 hours per week (0.5 FTE), you get four hours of paid personal holiday.

Scheduling your personal holiday

Schedule your personal holiday through your usual departmental leave request procedure.

Professional and contract classified staff

If you are professional or contract classified staff, your personal holiday must be taken as a single day of leave. However, it may be donated as shared leave in four-hour increments. Any remaining hours after donation must be taken all at once.

Classified non-union staff

If you are classified non-union, you may take your personal holiday as a single day of leave.

Additionally, partial-day increments are allowed for the following reasons:

  • To care for your child, spouse, parent, parent-in-law, or grandparent who has a serious or emergency health condition
  • To exhaust all paid leave prior to taking a leave of absence without pay
  • To donate a portion of your personal holiday (in four-hour increments) to any shared leave program

Any remaining hours that are not used for the above reasons must be taken all at once.

Use it or lose it

You must use or donate your personal holiday during the calendar year in which you received it. If you don’t use or donate it by December 31, you will lose it.

Leaving University employment

You are not paid for any unused personal holiday hours if you leave state employment.

However, if you leave the University for a job with another state agency — without a break in service — then your unused personal holiday transfers with you.

Supervisor responsibilities

To approve a personal holiday request, follow these steps:

  1. Confirm whether the employee has used their personal holiday already.
  2. Check the employee’s collective bargaining agreement or employment program for details about personal holiday use.
  3. Follow your department’s usual leave approval procedure.

Additional resources

  • APS 45.3 Holiday Policy for Classified Non-Union, Contract-Classified, and Professional Staff