Staff Hiring Process to Change with Workday Implementation
The University of Washington, including Harborview Medical Center, UW Medical Center, and Airlift NW, will begin using Workday at approximately 9:00 AM on Tuesday, June 27. Workday will impact many UW processes, including the hiring process. Here is an overview of changes to the hiring process for staff and key dates leading up to the implementation of Workday.
UWHIRES will remain as the applicant tracking system for the University. However, with the implementation of Workday, positions (a new process for the University) and requisitions will be initiated and routed for approvals in Workday. This information will then be integrated into UWHIRES where candidates will apply to open requisitions and hiring managers will review resumes, as they do today. After a final candidate is selected for hire, the hiring process will be initiated in UWHIRES, then the new hire information will be integrated back to Workday where the employee profile is built.
In order to successfully go-live with Workday on Tuesday, June 27, the cut-over process will begin the afternoon of Monday, June 19, when a snapshot will be taken of all “Open” requisitions at 3:00 PM. From Monday, June 19 through Monday, June 26, we need to limit the number of transactions that take place in UWHIRES, as these transactions will need to be manually re-entered into Workday on the 27th. As a result, we are asking for your assistance in being aware of the following dates, and the requested actions below:
FRIDAY, JUNE 16, 2017 BEFORE 5:00 PM
Review and approve UWHIRES requisitions that are pending approval
- Only requisitions that are in “open” status on June 19 at 3:00 PM will be converted to Workday. Any requisition that is still in the approval queue will not be converted, and a new position and requisition will need to be created when Workday goes live. Having the req approvals completed before 5:00 PM on Friday, June 16 will give your employment specialist time to move it to “open” status allowing it to be converted to Workday.
- If it is not appropriate to approve a requisition before 5:00 PM on June 16 (justifications or review of the requisition is still in process), your employment specialist will work with you on the appropriate transition into Workday post go-live. Please do not artificially approve a requisition in UWHIRES for the sole reason of having it converted into Workday.
Review requisitions that are currently in “hold” status in UWHIRES
- Only requisitions that are in “open” status on June 19 at 3:00 PM will be converted to Workday. Requisitions that are in “hold” status will not be converted. If you have a req that is on hold, and you would like it converted into Workday, please work with your employment specialist.
Finalize job offers and process through UWHIRES
- Before 5:00 PM on Friday, June 16, please finalize any pending offers of employment. This will allow your employment specialist to process the hire through UWHIRES prior to the conversion snapshot that will take place at 3:00 PM on Monday, June 19.
- This will also allow the new hire to be entered into OPUS (the current payroll system) so that they will be converted into Workday as an employee.
CUTOVER PERIOD: Friday, June 16; 5:01 PM – Tuesday, June 27; 8:59 AM
This is the transition period when open requisitions from UWHIRES will be converted into open positions and requisitions in Workday.
- Plan to limit requisition creation and hiring activity during this time.
- Requisitions cannot be created and hires cannot be processed through our current procedures during the cut-over period. If you need to create a requisition or process a hire during this time, contact your employment specialist for assistance.
Monday, June 19 at 3:00 PM
UWHIRES will be taken offline for upgrades (offline for 17 hours)
- A snapshot of “open” requisitions in UWHIRES will be taken, and sent to the conversion team to begin the process of converting into Positions and Requisitions in Workday.
- UWHIRES will be taken offline to begin the process of implementing upgrades so it can be integrated with Workday. During this time, UWHIRES will be unavailable to hiring managers, the employment team, and candidates.
Tuesday, June 20 at 8:00 AM
UWHIRES will be back online
- UWHIRES will once again be available to hiring managers, the employment team, and to candidates (e.g., ability to apply to positions and access their profile).
- Managers will no longer have the ability to create requisitions in UWHIRES. Positions and requisitions will be created and go through the approval process in Workday. If you have a need to create a requisition prior to Workday go-live on June 27, please work with your employment specialist
Monday, June 26 at 12:01 AM
UWHIRES will be taken offline for Workday implementation (offline for 15 hours)
- UWHIRES will be taken offline at 12:01 AM on June 26, as a part of the Workday go-live process. During this time, UWHIRES will be unavailable to hiring managers, the employment team, and candidates.
- UWHIRES will become available again at 3:00 PM on June 26.
Tuesday, June 27th at approximately 9:00 AM
Workday is live
- Positions and requisitions will be created and approved in Workday.
- Requisitions in Workday will be sent to UWHIRES through an integration where the recruiting and selection process will happen.
- Hiring managers will continue to access resumes through their Hiring Manager Workbench in UWHIRES.
Position management in Workday allows us to maintain information about employees and teams, including vacant positions that might need to be filled. Position information in Workday includes attributes of positions such as responsibilities, title, pay grade, and other information that is needed to create requisitions.
This table shows which system will be used for each step in the staff hiring process:
Hiring Process Step
|Create Position||Not done currently||Workday|
|Create and Edit Requisition||UWHIRES||Workday|
|Post Open Requisition||UWHIRES||UWHIRES|
|New Employee is Entered in Payroll||UWHIRES/OPUS/HEPPS||Workday|
Stay tuned for additional information regarding training in Workday and UWHIRES. Please contact your employment specialist for any immediate questions or assistance.