UTemp orientation: About UW
The UW is a fascinating place to work with cutting edge research, innovative projects, a supporting community and several great locations.
The University of Washington is one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions with campuses in Seattle, Bothell, and Tacoma. In addition, the University has research and educational facilities throughout the state of Washington, in other states, and at international locations.
UW Medicine owns or operates the following:
- Harborview Medical Center
- UW Medical Center
- Northwest Hospital & Medical Center
- Valley Medical Center
- A network of neighborhood clinics
- The physician practice UW Physicians
- The UW School of Medicine
- Airlift Northwest
In addition, UW Medicine shares in ownership and governance of Children’s University Medical Group and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, and has partnerships with Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Seattle Children’s Hospital.
US News & World Report consistently ranks our undergraduate and graduate programs among the top in the nation, including family medicine, computer science, creative writing, drama, nursing, and public health.
Each year the UW is one of the top public universities in the nation for federal research funds received.
The UW offers evening degree programs, performing arts, museums, community health care and education, law services (mediation clinics and low cost services), libraries, the Urban Horticultural Center, the Arboretum, programs for minority and disabled youth such as DO-IT, and many other services to our community.
UW Vision and Values
UW Vision Statement
The University of Washington educates a diverse student body to become responsible global citizens and future leaders through a challenging learning environment informed by cutting-edge scholarship.
Discovery is at the heart of our university.
We discover timely solutions to the world’s most complex problems and enrich the lives of people throughout our community, the state of Washington, the nation, and the world.
- UW Organizational Overview
- Board of Regents
- Provost and Executive Vice President
- Deans and Chancellors
- Vice Presidents and Provosts
The University of Washington is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The University is building a culturally diverse faculty and staff and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and covered veterans. Complete statement on Equal Employment/Affirmative Action.
The University of Washington is a state institution which means:
- We are accountable to taxpayers in how we use our resources
- We are impacted by the legislature
- We operate on a biennium (2 year) basis
- Overall, about 1/3 of our budget comes from the state, 1/3 comes from federal funding, and 1/3 from other sources
- Some departments are 100% state funded and some have no state funding
- Any funding received by the UW is subject to Washington State fiscal regulations