UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
Specification for Class
UW CODE AND REPRESENTATIVE GROUP
8944 (1199NW-HMC Social Workers)
As a member of a health care team, provide professional social work services in a client/patient care, research and/or teaching environment.
Under general direction, provide social work services to clients/patients, their families, and/or others; and/or participate in health sciences research; and/or participate in health sciences teaching activities, and exercise independent decision-making authority and expertise specific to assigned area of practice.
· Provide specialty consultation to other health care staff and health care teams regarding psychosocially focused aspects of client/patient care;
· Provides psychosocial support to patients and families;
· In collaboration with the multidisciplinary team, develops and implements safe and timely discharge plans;
· Provides care coordination for patients with complicated social and medical histories;
· Provides case management in specialized programs;
· Provides counseling services in specialized programs;
· Makes timely referrals to hospital and/community agencies including those required by mandatory reporting laws such and child and vulnerable adult abuse;
· Maintains appropriate documentation;
· Participates in practicum instruction of social work students and/or provides work direction to Social Work Assistant(s) or other assigned staff;
· Participates in formal and informal teaching of health care professionals, health sciences students and the general community;
· Coordinates elements of research studies and projects;
· Participates in or chairs departmental program development activities or committees;
· Represent the Social Work Department on hospital, university, and community committees/work groups;
· Perform related duties as assigned/required.
A Master of Social Work Degree from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
One year of full-time social work experience in a health care setting or equivalent. Experience can include a practicum placement as part of a social work training program and/or employment experience.
Within 90 days of hire must hold one of the following credentials issued by the state of Washington:
· Agency Affiliated Counselor, or
· Licensed Social Work Associate -Advanced, or
· Licensed Social Work Associate - Independent Clinical, or
· Licensed Advance Social Worker, or
· Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker
There may be instances where individual positions must have additional licenses or certification. It is the employer's responsibility to ensure the appropriate licenses/certifications are obtained for each position.
Class Specification History:
1-03-73: New Class;
6-01-05: CSR Class Conversion (mc);
7-01-09: Revise legal requirements;
2-16-16: Combine Social Worker 1, UW job code 8943, and Social Worker 2, abolishing Social Worker 1 when the change is complete; revise and update spec and MQs, including lowering minimum years of experience from two to one.