Temporary pay increases
All temporary salary increases for professional staff require approval from Compensation. There are two forms of temporary salary increases:
Temporary Pay Increase – A professional staff employee who temporarily assumes additional responsibilities for ten or more working days may receive a temporary pay increase. A Temporary Pay Increase (TPI) requires advance approval of the Compensation Office and must be for at least five percent.
Administrative Supplement – An Administrative Supplement (ADS) is a lump sum amount added to an employee’s gross monthly salary to recognize the assumption of higher-level administrative responsibilities. Only overtime exempt professional staff are eligible to receive administrative supplements.
Processing a temporary pay increase or administrative supplement request
- Complete the .
- Obtain all required approvals for the proposed action, i.e., supervisor, department, dean/vice president/medical center CEO/COO.
- Submit the form to Compensation and keep copies of the documentation supporting the request. You will need a copy of the original (or most recent extension) request in order to submit a request to extend an existing TPI or ADS.
Compensation reviews the request, requests additional information if needed, and sends email notification when the action has been approved (usually within three business days after receipt). After receiving approval, provide your departmental payroll coordinator with an electronic copy of the approval email.
- The payroll coordinator enters the action into the OPUS according to the instructions provided in the approval email. Medical centers payroll actions are processed centrally; contact firstname.lastname@example.org at UWMC or email@example.com at HMC for specific payroll processing information.
Extending a temporary pay increase or administrative supplement
- Use your original TPI or ADS request form (or most recent extension).
- On the first available “Extension Request#” line, provide the requested extension end date, and the justification for the extension.
- Submit to the Compensation Office as described above for processing a temporary pay increase or administrative supplement request.