Life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance

New for 2017:

 New life insurance through MetLife

The Health Care Authority (HCA) has selected MetLife to provide life insurance options to eligible Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) Program members starting Jan. 1, 2017.  It is important that you review the PEBB’s October issue of For Your Benefit newsletter to understand impacts on your coverage.  Current coverage remains in place through December 31, 2016, and changes take effect January 1, 2017.  Please carefully review the notice to ensure that you understand what if any impact this will have on your life insurance coverage.  New options will become available, but some coverage will end or require re-enrollment.

MetLife Open Enrollment November 1 – 30, 2016: 

Be sure to check out a special one-time open enrollment opportunity, during which you may increase you or your dependent coverage without health questions or medical exam – even if you have been denied in the past!  Read about this limited-time offer in PEBB’s October issue of For Your Benefit, or contact MetLife Directly at or  1-866-548-7139.

To enroll online, visit the MetLife enrollment portal and set up an account.
To submit via paper, download an enrollment form, complete and sign the form, and fax directly to MetLife at 1-859-825-6719 fax no later than midnight 11/30/2016.

For those hired from November 1, 2016 through December 1, 2016, please contact MetLife for assistance enrolling with both the current life insurance through VOYA, and the new 2017 MetLife product. Those who become eligible for PEBB insurance on or after December 2, 2016 should review only the MetLife product.


For 2016:

As part of your benefits package, you receive — at no cost to you — $25,000 of life insurance coverage and $5,000 of accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) coverage. This basic coverage is minimal, so you have the option to buy additional coverage by enrolling in the supplemental plans offered.

You are eligible for coverage as long as you’re eligible for PEBB benefits.


While basic coverage for life and AD&D insurance costs you nothing, you still need to complete and submit the enrollment form. Use the same form to apply for additional coverage for yourself, your spouse or partner, or you children.

Deadline to avoid the Evidence of Insurability form

It’s best to enroll during the first 60 days of your eligibility, which is usually the first 60 days of your job, to avoid submitting the Evidence of Insurability (EOI) form.

After 60 days, you’re required to submit the EOI form along with the enrollment form. Not only does the EOI form ask you detailed questions about your medical history, it also authorizes the insurance company to access your medical records. If the insurance company doesn’t approve your EOI form, you won’t receive life insurance coverage.

The EOI form applies only to life insurance coverage; AD&D coverage never requires it.

How to enroll

To enroll in life insurance and AD&D insurance:

  1. Complete the Life and AD&D Insurance Enrollment and Change (PDF)
  2. Submit all necessary forms to the Benefits office

Buy additional life insurance for yourself

If you want more than $25,000 of life insurance coverage, you can add coverage in $10,000 increments. To do so, apply for supplemental life insurance on the enrollment form.

You can buy up to $750,000 of supplemental life insurance for yourself. Coverage amounts exceeding $250,000 (or $100,000 if age 60 or older) require an EOI form, even if you apply during your first 60 days of eligibility.

Cost for employee supplemental life insurance

The cost for supplemental insurance depends on your age and whether or not you use tobacco. For the rates, see the PEBB public employee life insurance premiums. Once you enroll, the premium will be deducted from your paycheck.

Buy life insurance for a dependent

You have the option to purchase life insurance for your spouse, partner, or children. Like the employee supplemental coverage, this dependent coverage is split into two parts: basic and supplementary. You must first add basic coverage then, if you choose, add supplementary coverage.

Basic life insurance for dependents provides $2,500 of coverage for your spouse or partner and $2,500 for each child.

To increase coverage for your spouse or partner, add supplemental life insurance (there’s isn’t a supplemental option for children). The amount of employee supplemental coverage you have determines the maximum amount you can add for your spouse or partner; their coverage can’t exceed 50 percent of your own. For example, if you have $250,000 of supplementary coverage, then you can buy up to $125,000 of coverage for your spouse or partner.

During your initial 60-day enrollment period, you may apply for $50,000 in spouse/partner life insurance without submitting the EOI form. After your initial enrollment period, any amount of spouse/partner life insurance you apply for will require you to submit an EOI form.

Cost for dependent supplemental life insurance

Basic life insurance for dependents costs $0.60 per month, regardless of the number of dependents. Supplemental insurance for your spouse or partner has the same premium rate as employee supplemental insurance and is sold in $5,000 increments. For the rates, see PEBB public employee life insurance premiums.

Buy additional AD&D insurance

If you want more than basic AD&D coverage, you can add supplemental coverage in $25,000 increments up to a $250,000 maximum.

You also have the option to add supplemental AD&D coverage for your spouse or partner and children. The amount of coverage for dependents is based on the amount of supplemental coverage you have for yourself.

To see the cost and coverage for supplemental AD&D insurance, see PEBB public employee life insurance premiums.

Cancel or change your existing coverage

You can cancel or make changes to your existing life insurance coverage at any time. If your initial 60-day window of eligibility has passed, you’ll have to submit the EOI form for life insurance before you can increase your coverage amount.

Continue coverage during leave or separation

If you are on leave or on layoff status, you can continue your life insurance by paying both your premium and the premium amount that UW pays. Contact us if you want to keep your life insurance during leave or layoff.

If you are permanently separating from you job at UW, you have options for keeping or converting your life insurance. Requirements for doing this vary, so contact us if you’d like more information.

File a claim

The UW Benefits office files claims on behalf of you or your beneficiary. A certified copy of the death certificate is required for the claim.

More details about coverage

Coverage is offered through Washington state’s Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB), which works with ReliaStar Life Insurance Company (part of Voya Financial) to define the terms of coverage. Life insurance coverage is term insurance, which has no cash value and covers death from any cause.

The PEBB public employee life insurance page provides information about both life and AD&D insurance coverage. On the PEBB page, you can access to the most recent life and AD&D insurance booklet, which explains the details about coverage and includes the Certificate of Coverage.