Watch this page! Information will be updated with the launch of Workday and the Integrated Service Center (ISC) on June 27, 2017.

As of June 19, 2017, the current UW payroll system (HEPPS; OPUS) and other legacy systems, including Employee Self Service (ESS) and OWLS, will no longer accept edits and will be converted to read-only in preparation for Workday go-live. Learn more about how you can get ready for Workday by visiting the HR/Payroll Modernization Program website.

Change your address, name, gender, residency, or birth date

You can update your address at any time by logging into your Employee Self Service (ESS) account. For other changes to your personal information, you must make changes through the appropriate federal or state agencies and provide documentation before the UW can update your information.

Make sure that any documentation you provide is submitted securely. We recommend delivering it by hand to the designated office or sending it via fax. Avoid scanning documents and sending them via email, as this isn’t a secure method.

Change your address

At any time, you can update your home address in the UW record system by logging into your ESS account. Once you update ESS, your address will be automatically updated for any of the following that apply to you:

  • Health and dental insurance
  • Life, disability, and AD&D insurance
  • Retirement plans
  • Dependent Care Assistance Program
  • Flexible Spending Arrangement
  • Health Savings Account

You can also use ESS to update your campus directory information, tax form, and emergency contact information.

If you’re an inactive employee or retiree and need to change your address, contact your retirement plan and insurance administrators directly. You can usually change your address by visiting their website and logging into your account.

Change your name

Before the UW can change your name in its records, you must change your name on your Social Security card.

Once you’ve received your new Social Security card, take it your department’s human resources manager or payroll coordinator. They can make the change in UW’s payroll system.

After your name is updated in the payroll system, visit the Husky Card ID center to update your Husky Card. And if you have a U-PASS with your Husky Card, contact UW Transportation Services to be sure it’s transferred to your new Husky Card.

Retiree name changes

All UW retirees should contact the UW Benefits Office for name changes.

Additionally, you should contact your retirement plan administrator (Department of Retirement Systems, Fidelity, or TIAA) for assistance changing your name in their records.

Change your gender

Before the UW can change your gender on its records, you must change your gender on your Washington driver license or ID card.

Once you’ve received your updated license or ID card, provide a copy to the UW Benefits Office. Benefits will make the change to the UW payroll system. (Benefits processes gender change requests for all employees, even those who aren’t eligible for UW-paid benefits).

You can also change your gender on Social Security’s records. However, your Social Security card doesn’t indicate your gender, so the UW can’t use it as documentation for your gender.

Change in residency

If you have recently become a permanent resident (green card holder), take your permanent resident card to your department’s human resources manager or payroll coordinator. They will need to complete USCIS Form I-9 to re-verify your employment eligibility. For other questions about citizenship contact the UW Payroll Office.

Change your date of birth

All requests for a change to your date of birth record are reviewed by the UW Benefits Office, regardless of whether or not you have UW-paid benefits.

Before the UW can change your date of birth in the payroll system, you must provide evidence of the correct date to Benefits. Provide this evidence by submitting either of the following:

  • A copy of your state-issued driver license (or ID card)
  • Both your birth certificate and current photo ID

If you have UW-provided benefits and you believe there may simply be a data entry error, contact Benefits to request a review of your records to determine if additional proof is required.

Change your student records

Contact the UW Registrar’s Office for assistance in updating your student records.

Change your UW NetID

In general, your UW NetID is permanent and cannot be changed except in rare circumstances. For more information, email