Add or remove a dependent
You can add or remove a child, spouse, or partner from your health insurance:
- Due to a life event
- During open enrollment
- When it’s required to remove a dependent
If you’re newly eligible for insurance coverage and haven’t yet enrolled, see enroll in a health plan to add a child, spouse, or partner to your plan.
Changes due to a life event
Certain life events allow you to add or remove a dependent from your insurance. When one of these events occurs, you’re allowed a “special open enrollment” period during which you can make changes. Events that qualify include:
- Marriage or domestic partner registration
- Birth or adoption
- Change in employment status
- Loss of other health insurance coverage
- Legal custody or guardianship of a child
- Disability of a child
- Move outside the U.S. or into the U.S. by a dependent
- Court order that requires a child to be covered
- Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP, or TRICARE coverage changes
If you’re unsure whether or not an event qualifies for a special open enrollment period, contact Benefits. Events that qualify are defined by the state in the Washington Administrative Code 182-12-262.
To change your coverage, you must submit all required forms no later than 60 days from the date the event occurs. For example, if your spouse loses medical coverage on April 30, you must submit all required forms no later than June 29. Postmarks are not accepted by the state.
Birth and adoption is an exception to the deadline. For those events, the deadline is a full year after the birth or adoption takes place. Coverage begins on the date of birth or adoption, and premiums reflect that date.
How to add or remove a dependent due to a life event
To add or remove a dependent due to a life event:
- Complete the 2017 Employee Enrollment/Change form.
- If adding a dependent, provide a copy of the dependent verification required by PEBB.
- Provide proof of the event
- Within 60 days of the event, submit all necessary documents to the Benefits Office
Additional forms required under certain circumstances:
- If adding a qualified domestic partner or a partner’s child, submit the 2017 Declaration of Tax Status form
- If adding a dependent child with a disability, submit a 2017 Certification of a Dependent with a Disability form with the Physician’s section completed by your medical provider.
- If adding an extended (legal) dependent child, submit the 2017 Extended Dependent Certification form with required documentation listed on the form.
When coverage starts
In most cases, the date you submit your forms determines the date your new coverage begins. Coverage generally begins the first day of the month following whichever happens later: the date of the event or the date when the Benefits Office receives the enrollment form and any supporting documents.
Changes during open enrollment
Each year, you have the option to add or remove dependents from your health coverage during the open enrollment period, which occurs during the entire month of November. Changes made during open enrollment take effect on January 1 of the following year.
Instructions as to how you can make changes either by using the PEBB website or by submitting the required paper forms will be made available during each open enrollment period.
Required removal of a dependent from your coverage
You’re required to remove a dependent from your coverage when certain events occur. Events that trigger a loss of eligibility for PEBB coverage include:
- Child turns 26 years old
- Divorce, annulment, or dissolution of partnership
- Death of a dependent
When one of these events occurs, you have 60 days to remove your dependent from coverage. Please note that Washington State automatically ends a child’s coverage effective the last day of the month in which the child turns 26.
To remove a dependent:
- Complete the 2017 Employee Enrollment Change form
- Provide proof of the event
- Within 60 days of the event, return the enrollment form and proof of the event to the Benefits Office