GAIP: Dual coverage with ISHIP
International students at UW are automatically enrolled in the UW International Student Health Insurance Plan (ISHIP) when registering for classes. These students are required by federal and state laws to maintain health insurance while studying in the United States.
Dual coverage under the ISHIP and GAIP is not allowed. The following criteria apply to both ISHIP and GAIP:
- In the event you are enrolled in both GAIP and ISHIP, your ISHIP coverage will be waived in favor of your GAIP coverage, both for you and your dependents. You can elect to add your dependents to your GAIP coverage. To do so, you must enroll your dependents online with LifeWise.
- If you purchased annual coverage under ISHIP and you later become eligible for GAIP during the plan year, your ISHIP coverage will be cancelled starting from when you become eligible for GAIP coverage. You may be able to get a refund for ISHIP premiums already paid by notifying the Integrated Service Center by the third Friday of the quarter, however you may not re-enroll in ISHIP during the same plan year.
If you subsequently lose eligibility for UW-paid coverage under GAIP, you can continue GAIP coverage by enrolling in the self-pay option at the time you lost your coverage and can continue self-paying through the month of September.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I receive a GAIP-eligible position for the quarter, is there a coverage gap when my ISHIP coverage is automatically waived?
Starting the 2015-2016 plan year, if you become eligible for the graduate appointee coverage after having ISHIP coverage, and there is a coverage gap between the plans, ISHIP will cover any eligible claims during the gap period up to a period of 30 days.
What do I need to do if I have a GAIP-eligible position, but have already signed up for ISHIP?
Contact the Integrated Service Center to first confirm your GAIP-eligible position for this quarter. Once your position is confirmed, the GAIP consultant will contact the ISHIP Office and request cancellation of your ISHIP coverage. Refunds will be processed as follows:
- If you have already paid for ISHIP, your student account will be credited.
- If you have not paid, the charge will be dropped.
- If your department entered your TA/RA/SA position into Workday early enough, ISHIP will be canceled automatically.
- If you purchased annual ISHIP during a prior quarter and then receive a GAIP-eligible position, you will be credited and receive a check for the remaining quarters in the policy year.
Can a UW student enroll in ISHIP and be covered as an eligible dependent under GAIP?
If you are a student and enrolled in the International Student Health Insurance Plan (ISHIP), but are covered under GAIP as an eligible dependent, benefits will be paid under the GAIP Plan. Dual coverage is not possible so consider which single plan best meets your dependent’s needs.