GAIP: Continuation of coverage

UW offers a continuation provision to GAIP coverage that allows you or your eligible dependents to continue your insurance should you lose eligibility for UW-paid coverage.

If you lose your coverage in the middle of a plan year (October 1 – September 30), you can continue coverage through September 30 by using the GAIP self-pay option. After that, you’ll have the option for continuation of coverage.

When is continuation coverage available?

The plan will offer continuation coverage to qualified beneficiaries only after the plan administrator has been notified that a qualifying event has occurred. The employer must notify the plan administrator of the qualifying event, when the event is any of the following:

  • The end of employment or reduction of hours of employment
  • The death of the GAIP-eligible graduate appointee
  • The commencement of a proceeding in bankruptcy with respect to the employer
  • The eligible graduate appointee’s becoming entitled to Medicare benefits (under Part A, Part B, or both)
Required notice

You must give notice of some qualifying events.

For the other qualifying events (divorce or legal separation of the graduate appointee and spouse or partner; a dependent child’s losing eligibility for coverage as a dependent child) you must notify the plan administrator within 60 days after the qualifying event.

You must provide this notice to:

LifeWise Administrators
P.O. Box 21325
MS 225
Seattle, WA 98111
800-421-3531 (voice)
800-842-5357 (TDD)

Read the full continuation of coverage details by visiting the LifeWise website and downloading the plan benefit booklet.


2016 – 2017 premium rates (effective October 1, 2016):

Coverage classification Monthly premium
Student only $378.68
Student and spouse or partner $783.87
Student and children $639.97
Student, spouse or partner, and children $1,045.16

Contacts, questions, address changes

All questions concerning your plan or your continuation coverage rights should be addressed to LifeWise Assurance Company.

In order to protect your rights and/or those of your family, you should keep the plan administrator informed of any address changes. Keep a copy of any notices or correspondence for your records.

For more information about your continuation coverage rights, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and other laws affecting group health plans, contact the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid.