Change your medical or dental plan

Each year during open enrollment (November 1 to 30), you have the opportunity to change your medical or dental plan. If you need to make a change during other times of the year, you need to provide proof of the qualified life event, such as marriage or birth, that corresponds with the plan change.

Changes during open enrollment

Open enrollment occurs between November 1 to 30, during which time you can change your medical or dental plan for any reason. You can make changes either by using the PEBB website or by submitting the required paper forms to the Benefits office.

Changes made during open enrollment take effect on January 1 of the following year.

Online option

To change your coverage during the open enrollment period, log into your PEBB member account. If you’ve never logged into your account, you’ll need to register first.

While you can only make changes during open enrollment, you can use the PEBB site at any time to view your insurance enrollment information and print documentation for your records. When you do make a change, the site will instantly confirm your change.

Paper option for making changes

To change your coverage during the annual open enrollment, complete these steps:

  1. Download the 2017 PEBB Employee/Change form which is posted online beginning November 1, 2016.
  2. Before close of business on November 30, complete the form and submit all necessary documents to the Benefits office.  Forms must be received in the office by November 30 – postmarks are not accepted under HCA rules.

Changes due to a life event

Certain life events allow you to change your medical or dental coverage. When one of these events occurs, you’re allowed a “special open enrollment” period during which you can make changes. Events that qualify include:

  • Marriage or domestic partner registration
  • Birth or adoption
  • Change in employment status
  • Loss of other health insurance coverage
  • Legal custody or guardianship of a child
  • Disability of a child
  • Change in residence that affects health plan availability
  • Court order that requires a child to be covered
  • Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP, or TRICARE coverage changes
  • Loss of HSA eligibility
  • A medical condition or treatment that disrupts care and reduces benefits

If you’re unsure whether or not an event qualifies for a special open enrollment period, contact Benefits. Events that qualify are defined by the state in the Washington Administrative Code 182-08-198.

How to change medical or dental coverage due to a life event

You have 60 days after the event occurs to make changes to your insurance coverage.

To change your medical or dental coverage due to a life event:

  1. Complete the Heath Insurance - 2016 Medical / Dental Enrollment/Change (PDF) form.
  2. Provide proof of the event.
  3. Within 60 days of the event, submit all necessary documents to the Benefits office.
When coverage starts

The date coverage starts depends on when you submit your enrollment documents. In general, coverage begins the first day of the month following whichever happens later: the date of the event or the date when you submit the enrollment documents.