Watch this page! Information will be updated with the launch of Workday and the Integrated Service Center (ISC) on June 27, 2017.

As of June 19, 2017, the current UW payroll system (HEPPS; OPUS) and other legacy systems, including Employee Self Service (ESS) and OWLS, will no longer accept edits and will be converted to read-only in preparation for Workday go-live. Learn more about how you can get ready for Workday by visiting the HR/Payroll Modernization Program website.

Change your medical or dental plan

Each year during open enrollment (November 1 to 30), you have the opportunity to change your medical or dental plan. If you need to make a change during other times of the year, you need to provide proof of the qualified life event, such as marriage or birth, that corresponds with the plan change.

Changes during open enrollment

Open enrollment occurs between November 1 to 30, during which time you can change your medical or dental plan for any reason.

Changes due to a life event

Certain life events allow you to change your medical or dental coverage. When one of these events occurs, you’re allowed a “special open enrollment” period during which you can make changes. Events that qualify include:

  • Marriage or domestic partner registration
  • Birth or adoption
  • Change in employment status
  • Loss of other health insurance coverage
  • Legal custody or guardianship of a child
  • Disability of a child
  • Change in residence that affects health plan availability
  • Court order that requires a child to be covered
  • Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP, or TRICARE coverage changes
  • Loss of HSA eligibility
  • A medical condition or treatment that disrupts care and reduces benefits

If you’re unsure whether or not an event qualifies for a special open enrollment period, contact Benefits. Events that qualify are defined by the state in the Washington Administrative Code 182-08-198.

How to change medical or dental coverage due to a life event

You have 60 days after the event occurs to make changes to your insurance coverage.

To change your medical or dental coverage due to a life event:

  1. Complete the 2017 Employee Enrollment Change form.
  2. Provide proof of the event.
  3. Within 60 days of the event, submit all necessary documents to the Benefits Office.
When coverage starts

The date coverage starts depends on when you submit your enrollment documents. In general, coverage begins the first day of the month following whichever happens later: the date of the event or the date when you submit the enrollment documents.