An annual diabetes screening is a proven method of detecting prediabetes in its early stages — when it’s easier to treat successfully.
One in three American adults has prediabetes, a condition that, if left unchecked, can lead to Type 2 diabetes. Most don’t even know they have it.
Recent health data shows that PEBB members’ rates for prediabetes and diabetes are in line with national statistics. With the LoseUWin Diabetes Prevention Program, together we can change that.
The UW has teamed up with the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) and Diabetes Prevention and Control Alliance (DPCA) to bring members the LoseUWin Diabetes Prevention Program.
This is currently available at no cost to PEBB members who:
- Are age 18 or over
- Are enrolled in Kaiser WA or Uniform Medical Plan (UMP)
- Don’t have Medicare as their primary insurance
- Meet LoseUWin blood sugar and body mass index (BMI) criteria
How it works
The program has three steps.
Step 1: Take a 30-second risk quiz
Step 2: Get a blood sugar test
There are two ways to get a blood sugar test: get one from your physician (or clinic) or get one at a testing event.
From your physician or clinic
Get tested by your physician or clinic—and IF your A1c results show that you have prediabetes—contact the Seattle YMCA to enroll in the free LoseUWin Diabetes Prevention Program:
Phone: 206-344-3181 or 206-382-5000
Business hours: 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
At a free blood sugar testing event
If you score 9 or higher on the Risk Quiz, attend a diabetes screening event (below). Testing for elevated blood glucose is easy.
Drop-ins are welcome, however those with scheduled appointments will receive first priority. Schedule an appointment in one of two ways:
- Make an appointment online. (If you’re a first-time visitor, you must first create an account.)
- Call US Wellness customer service at 866-926-6099 x326 between 5 a.m. – 2 p.m. Pacific Time.
While no fasting is required for the screening, please bring your photo ID and PEBB medical plan card and allow about 15-30 minutes. It’s a quick A1c test (finger stick). Results are available in minutes and they are kept strictly confidential.
Campus testing events
There are no testing events scheduled at this time. Please check back for future dates.
Step 3: Sign up for diabetes prevention classes
If you find out you have prediabetes — through a diagnosis from your doctor, or your blood sugar test is in the prediabetes range — you can register for the LoseUWin Diabetes Prevention Program at no cost. LoseUWin provides a 16-week series of hour-long group coaching sessions held by specially trained coaches. The classes include lifestyle coaching, nutrition counseling, private weekly weigh-ins, detailed program handbook, and follow-up.
- Call the Seattle YMCA at 206-344-3181 or 206-382-5000 to enroll in a 16-week LoseUWin class series on campus for UW Employees only. Or inquire about a series in your neighborhood. (You can enter a class-in-progress up to the third week.)
- Before your first class, call DCPA at 800-237-4942 to confirm your appointment date, time, and location.
Is an appointment necessary for the blood sugar testing event?
Drop-ins are welcome, but employees with scheduled appointments receive first priority. Create an account and schedule an appointment. You may also call customer service at 866-926-6099 x326 between 5 a.m. – 2 p.m. PT.
What can I expect at the testing event?
Each event will differ slightly according to location, but you can generally expect the following:
- Check in at reception table.
- Fill out a privacy form and an event participation form. (You’ll need your PEBB health plan ID number do this.)
- Wait to be called for your blood sugar test at which time your clinician will take a quick finger stick.
- Your results will be ready in six minutes. Your clinician will confidentially tell you your results.
- You will receive a short private consultation with a LoseUWin health coach:
- If your results are in the prediabetes range, the coach will invite you to participate in the LoseUWin Diabetes Prevention Program class series.
- If your results are in the diabetes range, the coach will refer you to your health care provider for support.
- The entire appointment should take 15-30 minutes. Your results are kept strictly confidential. The only information shared with your health plan is whether you receive a test, and whether you attend LoseUWin Diabetes Prevention Program classes.
Can I invite my family members to the testing event?
Family members can participate in the testing event as long as they:
- Are enrolled in a PEBB medical plan.
- Are age 18 or over.
- Don’t have Medicare as their primary insurance.
I don’t have PEBB coverage. Can I still sign up for the testing event?
No. The testing event is only available to PEBB members. Check with your insurance plan to see if it offers any similar diabetes prevention services. We encourage everyone to learn about prediabetes and diabetes risks.
If I already have diabetes, do I need to go to a testing event to participate in a diabetes program?
No, you do not need to attend a testing event. All PEBB plans have support programs for managing diabetes. Uniform Medical Plan members can participate in the LoseUWin Diabetes Control Program; call 800-650-2885 for details and to enroll. Kaiser WA members should contact their plan to see what programs are available to members with diabetes.
My doctor already told me I’m prediabetic. Do I need to go to the testing event to participate in LoseUWin classes, or can I just sign up?
If you already know you have prediabetes or elevated blood glucose, you can sign up for the LoseUWin Diabetes Prevention Program classes directly. You don’t have to go to the testing event. Call 800-237-4942 to enroll.
I’m a UW retiree. Can I participate in the testing event?
You can participate as long as you:
- Are enrolled in a PEBB medical plan.
- Don’t have Medicare as your primary insurance.
At this time the LoseUWin program is not available to members who have Medicare as their primary insurance. PEBB may extend LoseUWin to members with Medicare in 2016.
Do I have to submit leave to attend the testing event?
No. The governor issued an executive order that allows employees of state agencies or higher education institutions to take 30 minutes of work time to go to the event. You don’t have to submit a leave request.
I haven’t received my medical plan ID card yet. What should I do?
Call your medial plan’s customer service to find out what your medical plan ID number is. Find your plan’s customer service phone number on the PEBB website under “Contact the Plans” on the left menu.
LoseUWin Diabetes Prevention Classes
What are the LoseUWin classes and what do they include?
If you find out you have prediabetes—through a diagnosis from your doctor, or your blood sugar tests is in the prediabetes range—you can register for the LoseUWin Diabetes Prevention Program at no cost. LoseUWin provides a 16-week series of hour-long group coaching sessions held by specially trained coaches. The classes include lifestyle coaching, nutrition counseling, private weekly weigh-ins, detailed program handbook, and follow-up. PEBB members with prediabetes will learn simple steps to:
- Eat healthier
- Boost activity levels
- Lose a modest amount of weight
Clinical research shows that following these steps can reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by almost 60 percent. If you’re over the age of 60, your risk can be reduced by 70 percent. Lifestyle changes have been found to be more effective than medication.
Should I confirm my LoseUWin class?
Yes. Call 800-237-4942 to confirm your appointment date, time, and location.
What happens after my appointment?
Your insurance company will be billed directly. The results of your exam will be mailed to you and your physician within 7-10 business days.